cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay in text delivery to one contact

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Over the past few months I've had numerous delays in messages being sent from and delivered to my phone ,but it's only happening with one specific number.  As this is my significant other's number it's quite irritating to have this continuously happening.  I frequently (2 - 3 times per week) recieve a text 2 - 4 hours after its been sent:, or will find out that a text I sent several hours previously has not been delivered.

As it's only happening with this one contact I don't believe it's a network issue, would anyone have any advice or knowledge on why this is happening/how to resolve it? 

Texts are from a HTC One X to and iPhone 5, O2 to Vodafone.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145089 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
You could both try removing and wiping your SIM cards to see if it helps but most likely its just network congestion on either or both networks.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Agree, as MI5 stated.

SMS is not an instant service and have a delivery time of up to 24 hours, although yes 99.9% are delivered within a few seconds it's not something that any network guarantees.
Message 3 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Try creating a seperate contact for each other on each phone for just the mobile numbers with no other  associated info such as email addresses etc.

Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Although I do concede it may be another issue as you say it's only to one number.
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Having a think,

Is there a way you can be in the same room and send a text. If it isn't delivered say after 5 mins, turn the 'receiving' phone off and on.

This causes a fresh network connection and you should receive the text.

If you do it's network congestion. If not it's another issue for O2 or Voda to sort.
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestions, will check these out.  I would have thought network congestion too, but strange that it's only one number - will do some investigating.

Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cool, Let us know how you get on.
Message 8 of 13

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
How are you getting on with this Aeddub?

Cheers, Toby
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've posted a very similar question - http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Not-receiving-text-messages/td-p/463652 - and was referred to this thread.

As per the originator here, my issues are with receiving texts from my significant other - I can't say it doesn't happen with anyone else, but I only notice it with texts from her, because the vast majority of texts I get are from her. Even when I'm not receiving her texts, she usually still gets mine - she is on Vodafone. Switching my phone off & on again can sometimes resolve the problem, but not always.

Re the suggestion about not having any other associated information ie email addresses etc, that does not apply to me as the only thing I have in her contact info is her name & mobile number.

I know it's not a phone issue as I had similar problems with my previous phone, and it happens at different times of the day so I'm doubting it's network congestion...

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Message 10 of 13