cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit check on SIM only upgrade to refresh?

N4Th
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi to all.

I’ve read through most previous posts on here and externally and different answers have led me to ask..

I have a Sim only contract at the min. I can 6 month upgrade to a handset this coming Sunday. My question is will there be a credit check involved as my credit history isn’t the best by a loooooooong shot but have kept up all my payments with o2.

some say yea you’ll be checked as it’s a new agreement - others say as long as bills paid then you should be okay?

can anyone help at all?

many thanks!! 

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145345 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27927 Solutions

@N4Th 

The whole point of going sim only for 6 months was to prove that you are capable of paying on time and therefore, no credit check was required. However, since the merger with Virgin Media we have been hearing that some people have been credit checked, it also doesn't seem to be consistent in approach, so the only way to find out is to apply and see what happens. In theory, it should only be a soft check so that shouldn't cause any problems.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
  • 145345 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27927 Solutions

@N4Th 

The whole point of going sim only for 6 months was to prove that you are capable of paying on time and therefore, no credit check was required. However, since the merger with Virgin Media we have been hearing that some people have been credit checked, it also doesn't seem to be consistent in approach, so the only way to find out is to apply and see what happens. In theory, it should only be a soft check so that shouldn't cause any problems.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 16

N4Th
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks for the response there! 

well that doesn’t fill me with much hope I have to admit. How often has it transpired a credit check needed on these SIMO upgrades?  

do you think there Is there anyone from o2 or anything that can provide some info on this? Ideally on this post so others can see too as it may save someone else asking! 

Thanks again though MI, I do appreciate ir

Message 3 of 16

MI5
  • 145345 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27927 Solutions

@N4Th 

It's all down to what the computer says it would seem.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 4 of 16

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

If you do upgrade soon @N4Th, let us know how it goes!

Message 5 of 16

N4Th
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No credit check required and was able to upgrade today! 3 days early! 

does anyone know if I can upgrade my delivery in the DPD app later today? (Specific time slot)

Message 6 of 16

MI5
  • 145345 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27927 Solutions

@N4Th 

You can choose which day for delivery but don't think you can choose a time slot.

Thanks for updates re credit check.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 7 of 16

joanne1988
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a similar problem.And eventually found the answer.

I applied for a refresh contract 6 months ago and it got declined,but I was offered a sim only deal,If i paid the bills for 6 months i was told i could upgrade to any handset and move to a refresh.But in this 6 month period there have been some changes(I use to work for o2 for 5 years)

Before this new system(360) came in a sim only customer who had bad credit for aguments sake,could walk into o2 and get any phone they liked with no further credit checks(as long as the bills where paid on time)

And move to a refresh contract,BUT…..

Now o2 have decided that they are going to fully credit check ANY sim only upgrade to handset/refresh contract.

So if you are told in a store come back in 6 months please be aware that you will be fully vetted before taking out any phone on an upgrade(this includes if you are already on a refresh contract already!)

So if you have say the iphone 14 now on a refresh contract,and you want the 15,you will be credit checked again for the 15…even though you are already on a refresh…hope this makes sence..I argued my point and have eventually left o2 to ee,as i was fighting a losing battle.

hope this helps anyone wondering about this.

(all my info is from current o2 employees just before anyone says its rubbish)its not….

Message 8 of 16

Oxonian
Level 30: Meditator
  • 6699 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 24 Solutions

@joanne1988 

Thank you for that information. It actually reconciles quite nicely with the comments of @MI5 (above) on 28 June 2023 and seems to reflect changes since VMO2 came into being.   

Message 9 of 16

dustybin1545
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was told 6 months after taking my SIM only contract I would be able to upgrade in August after the merger took place and failed the credit check today

Message 10 of 16