cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I swap to a sim-free handset?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've currently got a BB 9900 on a 24 month contract with 11 months remaining, however I'm getting absolutely sick of my BB problems (constant black clock of death etc) & would like a different handset but to still keep my contract for the remaining months. Is it possible for me to buy a sim-free handset & ask 02 to swap my contract (tarriff & number) over to my new handset? If so, is it pretty straight forward? 

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, once you have the handset contact Cust Services and they will switch your web bolt on to match your new phone. If you also require a different size SIM ie. micro, they will send you one free of charge and transfer your tariff and number to it. The SIM part can also be done in an O2 store and you don't have to wait for the postage. You will need to still contact CS to change your web and will usually change during night ready for next day. O, and your contract price will stay the exact same.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, once you have the handset contact Cust Services and they will switch your web bolt on to match your new phone. If you also require a different size SIM ie. micro, they will send you one free of charge and transfer your tariff and number to it. The SIM part can also be done in an O2 store and you don't have to wait for the postage. You will need to still contact CS to change your web and will usually change during night ready for next day. O, and your contract price will stay the exact same.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
To add ;

Take your handset into your local 02 store to get it sent off for repair, and also request an unlock via the online form.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),C...

Reason ;

You can then sell the unlocked working phone to recoup some of the costs to buy your sim free phone.
Message 3 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23299 Posts
  • 1031 Topics
  • 3708 Solutions

If you are intending to send your phone off for repair, make sure you have photographic evidence of the phone's condition before it's sent. There have been several posts recently of phones being refused repair because of the phone's condition, i.e. 'cracked screen', or 'water damaged'. If you have photos, that will cover your back. Either that or make sure the person in the O2 store signs off that the phone is being sent without physical damage to it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont think the phone needs sent off for repair, sounds more like a software issue to me as I never had much of a problem with my 9900!

Have you got the latest operating system on the phone (check by installing BlackBerry Desktop Manager on a PC and then connecting the phone)? Have you considered wiping it and re-installing the operating system?

Message 5 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

The answer is exactly the same as when you asked this question last December:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Replacing-swapping-Pay-Monthly-BB-with-sim-free-...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

The answer is exactly the same as when you asked this question last December:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Replacing-swapping-Pay-Monthly-BB-with-sim-free-...

Good Skills!!!!

One person search engine!!

Message 7 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Good Skills!!!!

One person search engine!!

Not really, click on their name to see their previous posts. slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh oops, totally forgot I even asked this question before! My bad people. Smiley Embarassed

I've now changed my mind on the whole sim-free handset as tbh I can't really afford one! So I'm thinking of paying off my remaining months when I can & then just taking out a new contract - maybe on 02 Refresh as I'd rather not have the same handset for 18-24 months & it's cheaper to just pay off the phone plan for the remaining months when I do want a new handset. 

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's fair enough.

It's still worth getting the handset unlocked tho to enhance its street price if you come to sell it.

If you've not already done so can you update this thread to show as resolved.
Message 10 of 10