cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing or legit O2 text message?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This morning I recieved this text message perportedly from O2:

"We have reason to believe your email and password for MyO2 has been obtained by third parties through phishing and may be used to access your MyO2 account.

As a precaution, we will suspend your password on MyO2 and send you a new one to enable you to reset it.

For more advice, visit ******(plus some randon letters and numbers I've removed incase it is malicious. Link also edited to remove exact address) or contact us."

I did not follow the link in the text message, instead I went to the 02 site seperatly and logged in with no issues to My O2. No messages came up saying I needed to reset my password and I have not received an email as the text message said I would.

It all looks very dodgy as far as I'm concerned, but frankly its a very convincing text, with none of the usual give aways. Its comes from 'O2UK', has proper English and the address does have o2.co.uk in it although with some before and after extras which I can't find any info on.

Anyone else get this?

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to add my experience to this thread.

26/4 11.04am I received a text from O2 UK : Please use this password to sign in to o2.co.uk CCX9*******. Then you'll be able to choose a new, easy to remember password.

I then used a different device to attempt to log in using my usual password and couldn't.   I rang O2 and the lady on the phone was concerned about the text message and couldn't seem to do anything on my account and said she would contact the fraud dept.  I requested that she email me and she did at 3.47pm - "I have sent your details to  my manager  to reset your password."

27/4 5.24am I received the text message others have mentioned "we have reason to believe your email and password etc....."

So I emailed O2 at 10.30am by replying to the email I had received on 26th mentioning the second text and saying I had not received a new password.

I never received a reply.  I got bored of waiting and hit the 'forgot my password' link and reset and all has been fine since.

BUT today I received my bill notification and there is a credit on it, "goodwill customer dispute"

Message 31 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 122977 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous It's great you got a goodwill gesture....though no explanation as to what exactly went wrong in the first place?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 49

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144426 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Happy days slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 33 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff Nope, nothing other than what was in my post.  Rather worrying really but I felt a little better after finding this thread.  I am only assuming that the goodwill gesture relates to this as I haven't had any other contact with them and it takes quite a few clicks to find out how they have categorized a credit, I think I had to click the "print my bill" link.   Oh!  I did reply to their text survey with a negative though slight_smile

Message 34 of 49

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12073 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Thanks for the posts @Anonymous - I didn't realise that the other charges and credits section appeared as a link to a further page...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 35 of 49

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Just got an email dated today from a similar address to the certificate quoted above (hence google highlighting this thread)

We’re closing your o2.co.uk email Remember we wrote to you about your O2 email? It’s closing down on 2‌0 J‌une 2016. etc.....

with all links through to http://o2.davinci-crm.com/..<snip>. but had the correct last 4 digits of my mobile number at the top and the correct address associated with my account.

Obviously phishing as O2 email was shut down years ago, but it seems this is not constrained to texts.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 36 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 122977 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@aldaweb wrote:

Just got an email dated today from a similar address to the certificate quoted above (hence google highlighting this thread)

We’re closing your o2.co.uk email Remember we wrote to you about your O2 email? It’s closing down on 2‌0 J‌une 2016. etc.....

with all links through to http://o2.davinci-crm.com/..<snip>. but had the correct last 4 digits of my mobile number at the top and the correct address associated with my account.

Obviously phishing as O2 email was shut down years ago, but it seems this is not constrained to texts.

See this new thread started today @aldaweb You are not the only one to get this email ..

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/o2-email/m-p/974704#M21313

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 37 of 49

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Thanks @Cleoriff , now had a reply from O2 that it's genuine, but my O2 email shut down a long time ago.

I guess I got the email because I had Sky when O2 shut it's broadband but why use a non O2 domain?

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 38 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 122977 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Perhaps its a non O2 domain..because they no longer have an email address @aldaweb LOL

Only joking....I don't understand it either if honest......with all these phishing emails going about it is bound to cause concern....?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 39 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's all still going on. I've had a whole raft of texts from them today with new passwords and apparently none were sent from O2 according to their records. All come from O2UK and all if you try to call out are from 6285 but apparently according to the customer service team, only 2 are genuine. My options as they advised are to change my phone number or go to an O2 store for them to see if it's genuine. (I'm not daft - they clearly are from them) Been logged out of my account and had to change my password. They don't get that the thing that is worrying me is how secure their site is if it's sending random texts out and they can't trace them!!!  

Message 40 of 49