Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My partners old SIM - rarely used - cancelled by O2 and remaining credit gone

Vikki2205
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My partner barely used his mobile phone but recently we decided because of health issues that he should start carrying it around again, he did have some remaining credit on it but when we came to start it up both the SIM and credit remaining had been cancelled.  Why have O2 done this and can we get the credit refunded as my partner has now decided that he won't upgrade to a newer phone and add more credit for it to be stolen.  His current unusable phone is an old Nokia.

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6615 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

PAYG must make one chargeable call around every 6 months to keep it active.

If not then it can be disconnected and you lose your balance.

Been that way since day one and is part of the terms and conditions.

All networks have a similar practice

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6615 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

PAYG must make one chargeable call around every 6 months to keep it active.

If not then it can be disconnected and you lose your balance.

Been that way since day one and is part of the terms and conditions.

All networks have a similar practice

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 4

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10773 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hello @Vikki2205 

Welcome to the o2 Community forum. 

Very sorry to hear that your sim and paygo credit isn't now available. It has happened to me with another provider years ago. 

As @Enlli has said you need to make a chargeable call every minimum 6 months and this  may have changed to 3 months and you also need to make a top up every couple of years to keep the paygo sim active. 

At home we have paygo sims and have to make sure that a chargeable call (not a text apparently) is made.  We have come to the conclusion that even those who hardly ever make a call should enjoy the facility and talk to a friend or relative and enjoy the phone every so often. It isn't that expensive to enjoy a call or two.

Hope you can get a lovely new phone for a reasonable price and enjoy it soon.  Lots of providers out there if you feel you are unhappy with o2. Good luck and much joy going forward 😊 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144426 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Vikki2205 

You may be able to get the credit and number reinstated, but it depends on how long it has been deactivated.

You can call O2 on 0344 8090222 to ask.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4