cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore O2 Webmail

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know if there any way of restoring emails that have been deleted from webmail by Outlook.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

By default, a POP3 account is configured to remove the messages from the server after downloading (in Outlook 2010 this has been changed to after 14 days). This is in order to free up space in the on-line mailbox since POP3 is download only and the storage capacities of Outlook are usually a multitude larger than that of the on-line mailbox.

If you do not like this behavior, then you can set your account settings to leave a copy on the server.

If you want to restore the messages back to the server, you’ll have to to make an IMAP connection. Since IMAP is a 2-way sync protocol, by moving the messages to the Inbox in the IMAP account, the messages will be uploaded back to the server again. I'm not sure if O2 support an IMAP connection though!

Alternatively, if you can upload your messages back to another mail service (for instance Live Hotmail via the Outlook Connector or to a Gmail account) then you can configure your web based account to download from these mail services again via their POP3 access. This might sound like a long way around but it is effective nevertheless.

If both IMAP and mail collecting from another account is not supported by O2, then asking them for a restore or forwarding all emails to yourself might be the only way to get them back in the on-line mailbox again.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Check the Deleted Items folder in Outlook.

Also look in MyO2> Use O2 Webmail> Folders> Trash , if there is nothing in either and they're not backed up you're out of luck I'm afraid.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

The emails are still in Outlook, that's not the problem. It's just that when Outlook downloaded the emails, it deleted them from the O2 server so when I look in my inbox on webmail, it is empty.

Is there any way of restoring the emails in Outlook back up on to the O2 server so that I can once again view them in webmail?

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

By default, a POP3 account is configured to remove the messages from the server after downloading (in Outlook 2010 this has been changed to after 14 days). This is in order to free up space in the on-line mailbox since POP3 is download only and the storage capacities of Outlook are usually a multitude larger than that of the on-line mailbox.

If you do not like this behavior, then you can set your account settings to leave a copy on the server.

If you want to restore the messages back to the server, you’ll have to to make an IMAP connection. Since IMAP is a 2-way sync protocol, by moving the messages to the Inbox in the IMAP account, the messages will be uploaded back to the server again. I'm not sure if O2 support an IMAP connection though!

Alternatively, if you can upload your messages back to another mail service (for instance Live Hotmail via the Outlook Connector or to a Gmail account) then you can configure your web based account to download from these mail services again via their POP3 access. This might sound like a long way around but it is effective nevertheless.

If both IMAP and mail collecting from another account is not supported by O2, then asking them for a restore or forwarding all emails to yourself might be the only way to get them back in the on-line mailbox again.

Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was hoping to avoid having to forward all of the emails to myself but that looks to be the only option as I am pretty sure the O2 doesn't do IMAP or mail agregation and the chances of getting my mailbox restored are pretty slim.

Message 5 of 5