cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portrush - no mobile internet coverage after 12 noon

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear O2,

Any chance of installing another mast in the Portrush area right now? Due to holidaymakers and high smart phone usage (so O2 Coleraine tell me), my internet connection is non-existant from 12noon to 12midnight. It only works for sure in the very early morning.

It is very frustrating, especially as I have paid you for a service that I am not actually getting. I remember going to my local sweetshop. If I bought a bag of 'penny-chews', I got a bag of 'pennychews.' If I wanted some more, unless it was Sunday, I just went back down the sweetshop and paid the lady over the counter. That was circa 1979-1980, long before the age of the personal computer, let alone mobile internet.

Compare that then with O2 service in 2014 - I pay you £10 a month, and I get nothing in return for 12hours a day. And so much for privatisation creating rival companies and a choice. O2 are the only service provider that give a reliable service to Portrush. Looks like you've got me over a barrel then.

I know some people must think that Northern Ireland is 'way beyond the timber line', but for better or worse, it is still part of the UK. When I visit in-laws down in the Co. Derry area, they are still on a weak GPRS signal. Hey-ho, better start using smoke signals.....

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

As fellow customers we sympathise with the situation.

Mast congestion is a very real concern right now.

How do any other networks perform in the area ? I know you say O2 are the reliable ones but are the others any good at all.

You could make this official here http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain

Network future although a way off yet is http://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/network-coverage/the-next-big-thing

Edit.
Are Tugo (contract customers at the moment only) , what's app or Viber useful interim alternatives ?
Message 2 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi CraftyLeek. I know exactly what you mean and it is very frustrating. I have just checked the O2 Network maps and that shows 2g and 3g coverage in Portrush as good for both indoor and outdoor usage. Of course it depends where you are in the town. I visit just outside the town near the Golf Course and reception there is abysmal. On the plus side however it means I can relax and enjoy the scenery and the fresh Atlantic breezes.
Gerry
Message 3 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145053 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
Same all over UK at the moment....
Very poor sadly 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Networks are really struggling with the demand for data.

In most cases signal is not the issue. It is transmission. In a nutshell your phone talks to your local mast. Your data is then sent from the mast via fibre backhaul to where it needs to go. It comes back via fibre and then via the mast it comes back to you over the air.

It is the amount of bandwidth that is the issue.
Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Networks are really struggling with the demand for data.

In most cases signal is not the issue. It is transmission. In a nutshell your phone talks to your local mast. Your data is then sent from the mast via fibre backhaul to where it needs to go. It comes back via fibre and then via the mast it comes back to you over the air.

It is the amount of bandwidth that is the issue.

Never did fully understand the term "bandwidth" @Anonymous Does it just mean the total amount of data (using that word in its broadest sense of units of information) that is trying to get into and out of the system?   If for example if there was some way to stop all the senseless re-tweeting by twits would that ease the bandwidth  problem?

Gerry

Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

Easy way to consider it is like this. You are driving into the centre of Belfast. There is too much traffic for the road so you get stuck in a traffic jam. Bandwidth is the same. There is only so much capacity. If people try to download more than the amount of road available then you get a blockage.
Message 7 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous  That certanly sounds like the road into Belfast!!!!  Helpful illustration.

Gerry

Message 8 of 17

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was in Portrush on Friday evening, although phone was indicating 3G was available it was impossible to download a single web page or email.

Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Certainly sounds possibly like mast congestion tullyhubbert
Message 10 of 17