cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim cards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Recently I renegotiated my contract with O2, as there were no new phone deals in a price bracket I was willing to pay I moved to a pay monthly sim only deal.

A couple of days later a new sim arrived, as this was not discussed a POS (I assumed I could just continue to use my current sim) I called to find out if I need to replace it – it turns out it is a 4G sim, my current phone (which I got on my last contract with O2) is a Samsung Galaxy S2 – not 4G ready, so the sim is of no use, I was told, you’ve been sent it just in case you upgrade your handset and want to use 4G.

O2 must have MILLIONS of customers, if at POS it was established if a customer actually needs a new sim card or not – if they don’t think of all the money O2 could save in costs; material, admin, postage…these savings could be used to offer better deals to customers – not only that, not sending out sims unnecessarily would be so much more environmentally friendly!

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I re-renegotiated my O2 package this weekend within my seven day cool off period, I am pleased to say that I got an even better rate, although not pleased (having been an O2 customer for over 15 years) that I had to search for a deal then come back to get a matched price! - anyway, this time I specifically requested that I was not sent another sim as I have already been sent one - it turns out that's not an option, they are sent out automatically....

re passing on to family/friends (potential new customer) - good idea but no point as they would automatically be sent a new sim if they became an O2 customer

re 'drop in the ocean' if everybody who didn't need a sim wasn't sent one, each and every drop in the ocean would build to make an ocean, both on cost savings and environmental impact slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and welcome to the Community.

A good point well made and well structured.

One thing I would say though is that technology (and people's needs) change all the time and the newer sim cards are designed to be more efficient on the network and hopefully provide a better service.

That said, a quick question from the sales agent could have met your needs.

Thank you for posting.
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's probably a check box they use to get as many sims out as possible and to cater for those who want a 4g sim. 

If you don't use it then they would hope you pass it onto a friend, family member or colleague. Possibility of a customer!

In the grand scheme of things it's possibly a drop in the ocean.

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

I re-renegotiated my O2 package this weekend within my seven day cool off period, I am pleased to say that I got an even better rate, although not pleased (having been an O2 customer for over 15 years) that I had to search for a deal then come back to get a matched price! - anyway, this time I specifically requested that I was not sent another sim as I have already been sent one - it turns out that's not an option, they are sent out automatically....

re passing on to family/friends (potential new customer) - good idea but no point as they would automatically be sent a new sim if they became an O2 customer

re 'drop in the ocean' if everybody who didn't need a sim wasn't sent one, each and every drop in the ocean would build to make an ocean, both on cost savings and environmental impact slight_smile

Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for updating.

Good to hear you managed to improve your deal.

I understand what your saying about sim cards.
Message 5 of 5