cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to any network in New Zealand

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello O2,

I've been to NZ many times wirh the same phone + O2 PAYG account, and no problems.

Now, September 2015, the only network my phone can detect is Vodafone NZ, and when I try to select it I get the error message 'No Network access'.

I use my phone (a Nokia C2-01) in many countries without problem, even the last few days on the way to NZ; what's different at the moment in NZ, and how can I get my phone working here?

Thanks,

phil_p

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123284 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

You may have to do a manual network search to look for an alternative. Also try taking your sim... out cleaning it gently and reinsert it....

Operators in NZ:

2Degrees

Spark

Virtual networks Skinny, Slingshot

Vodafone NZ

Edited to add..if you have to ring O2 Customer Services from abroad... its 0344 8090222 (this is from a landline for payg phones)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Anonymous

You may have to do a manual network search to look for an alternative. Also try taking your sim... out cleaning it gently and reinsert it....

Operators in NZ:

2Degrees

Spark

Virtual networks Skinny, Slingshot

Vodafone NZ

Your best bet is 2Degrees as they have the best coverage there. Try rebooting your phone as it may need a wake up after searching many networks while you've been travelling 

Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for both replies...

First thing I tried was manual network scan, dual, 2g only, 3g only, each time it comes back with Vodafone NZ, which when I select returns the 'No Network Access' message.

Also tried removing the SIM card, wiping, rebooting... Same result.

Talking of Spark, I've been told here that's been 'down for a while', although I did initially connect to it in Auckland before leaving the city (after which its signal was lost).

Have read up on Spark and they appear to have a history of issues, dns attacks, etc, and now I'm wondering if that initial 'connection' has corrupted my phone in some way.

Only thing I can think of now is full phone factory settings rest, but I'll loose everything on it. If the SIM card has become corrupted that probably won't help anyway.

Stumped.

phil_p

Message 4 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123284 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Are you able to try your sim in another phone (if you are in NZ with someone else?) It would give some idea whether it is a sim or network issue...

The only other thing I can suggest is you buy a local sim whilst in NZ and use this if your phone is unlocked

I know it's not ideal but at least it will give you a working phone.

Hopefully if your contacts are saved to your phone you will be able to stay in touch....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 144852 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27774 Solutions
Try the coverage checker for 2degrees to see if there is a signal in your area or any issues https://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/coverage/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, thanks, tried the coverage checker, full coverage where I am.

Must be my phone/SIM - although would be nice if O2 would 'accept' a connection via Vodafone NZ.

Off to Wellington tomorrow so hoping I have better luck there, or I'll have to get a local SIM, which kind of defeats the point of travelling with my own PAYG SIM...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

phil_p

Message 7 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123284 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Hopefully much better in Wellington. Fingers crossed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 144852 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27774 Solutions
Good luck slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't find a more recent thread, but here I am with my pay as you go O2 sim in NZ, unable to connect. I was able to connect to networks in Oz, but I'm blocked here, when I look at the Network Operators. It is frustrating, as my banking and tax logins depend on phone authentication, so no good changing sims!

Message 10 of 11