cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False/virus voicemail from o2

Anonymous
Not applicable

o2 has sent me a virus, a false voicemail which I cannot erase.  Every time I switch my phone on it alerts by sound and 'New Voicemail' button, but if I select 'Listen' for the 'New Voicemail' it calls 2202 instead of 901.  o2 say they cannot help me, and have blocked my Voicemail, but as the false voicemail calls 2202 that doesn't help at all, but instead stops me getting real voicemail !  Now I cannot activate my voicemail with 1750, and I cannot erase the false voicemail/virus.
Can anyone help me ?  I have a Nokia 701.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Wanty and bandofbrothers !  I may have done it ! Thank you for your advice and time.  In the end, whilst checking out Wanty's advice I listened to all of the options ( after it said no mail ) and simply changed the Voicemail notification from 'the Voicemail button on my phone' to 'contact me via Text when a new  Voicemail arrives', and the 'tape cassette' icon disappeared from the top of my screen!  Switched phone off and on again and VOILA ! no false Voicemail button either !! 

1750 and 1760 are still unuseable, so I cannot use the real Voicemail service, but to be honest after that virus which dialled 2202 from my voicemail button every switch-on for more than a month, and which o2 could not remove, I am very wary of o2's Voicemail service !!

Thanks again for your help, and this exchange may be of use to others.

o2 Gurus are impressively bad aren't they  🙂   !!

BillBal

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you spoken to O2 uk Cs.

Turned off voicemail via 1760.

Try dialling ##002# to cancel all Diverts.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,question=ref(user):str(Mobile),C...
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
What happens when you dialed 901 itself rather than through the "listen"?

2202 is the number to switch to Pay as you go go tariff on pay and go.

Try doing dialling 1760 first, then back to 1750.
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I call 901 it says 'No new messages and no saved messages'.

If I call 1750 it says 'Cannot activate your voicemail as we do not have your number.'

If I call 1760 it says 'Messaging service cannot be switched off. Goodbye!'

2202 is the o2 Information Line.

I have spoken 12 times to 'Gurus', nothing worked, altho' I haven't tried the last advice of complete phone reset !!

o2ukcs via email says I can only remove this problem at shop in UK but I am in France, and I was in France when the virus arrived.

Message 4 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

So now we have all the relevant information it has been reported here that sometimes the shortcodes fail when not in the uk

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Wanty and bandofbrothers !  I may have done it ! Thank you for your advice and time.  In the end, whilst checking out Wanty's advice I listened to all of the options ( after it said no mail ) and simply changed the Voicemail notification from 'the Voicemail button on my phone' to 'contact me via Text when a new  Voicemail arrives', and the 'tape cassette' icon disappeared from the top of my screen!  Switched phone off and on again and VOILA ! no false Voicemail button either !! 

1750 and 1760 are still unuseable, so I cannot use the real Voicemail service, but to be honest after that virus which dialled 2202 from my voicemail button every switch-on for more than a month, and which o2 could not remove, I am very wary of o2's Voicemail service !!

Thanks again for your help, and this exchange may be of use to others.

o2 Gurus are impressively bad aren't they  🙂   !!

BillBal

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
A reasonable end result.

wink

Take care.
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

For what it is worth, whilst trying to remove the false Voicemail alert and button over the last month ( following advice from 'Gurus' ), I have used 1750 and 1760 many times from here in France, and they always switched my Voicemail  (empty ) on and off correctly, they just did not remove the false Voicemail notifications from my phone ( - a Nokia 701, which o2 seem not to know exists - ) or stop my Voicemail button from calling the o2 'Info Hotline' ( which button had previously called 901 and picked up real Voicemail messages for about 6 months before they sent the virus) but now/for last few days 1750 and 1760 have no effect/cannot be used by me.  However they previously worked perfectly well here in France for about a month, always doing what they were supposed to do, so they DID  work ouside UK, but they just didn't remove the false Voicemail notifications. And don't work at all NOW for me !!  However changing from 'Voicemail Button' notification of a message to 'Notify me by Text' HAS removed the false notifications, so the worst problem has been solved - but NOT by o2, despite 20-ish communications.

BillBal

Message 8 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93242 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

It will be interesting to know then whether 1750/1760 work again when you are back in the UK as it was always understood by the members on here that you couldn't use them overseas. They have never worked for me whilst overseas and that's at least 3 times a year.

With the advent of TuGo I can now switch on/off abroad so it looks like there have been changes to the 901 service.

Message 9 of 9