cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird situation in my City Centre today !

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Whilst waiting outside a City Centre shop this afternoon while my partner was shopping inside ,I was approached by a youth asking if he could borrow my phone to ring his Mum.

Now at approx 18 years of age he and the girl of a similar age he was with would have left me standing, if they took off , so I said Sorry....No.

I then observed this pair approaching passers by.

I was surprised at ~

A, People thought nothing of handing over a £300 + smartphone to a complete stranger.

B, Let them dial whatever number which yes could have been their Mum, but could have also been some dodgy number or even an international one.

C, I observed them approach several people even after making a call - watching them dial into the phone several times.

They were handing round the bus stop asking people waiting for the bus.

They didn't catch the bus but just moved on.

Something not right there. 😞
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds well dodgy I know I wouldn't hand over my phone perhaps they were looking for personal details of some kind?
Message 2 of 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

As a wild guess I'd say something isn't right here:smileywink:

Probably calling a premium rate number they have set up and taking a cut from the proceeds.

I sometimes despair of people.

Message 3 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I too despair.

They targeted a youth listening to music with white earphones ,which were clearly Apple EarPods.

After asking him he casually unplugged them, handed over his iPhone 5s ,and he actually moved away about 2 metres to check the bus due time on the LCD panel in the bus stop.

I counted x5 times the girl dialled separately into the phone. They did give it back and the owner didn't even check what had been dialled but instead plugged the EarPods back in and resumed his tunes. 😞
Message 4 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
If he was that stupid it does make you wonder why he has a smartphone wink
Message 5 of 25

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I like that Jonsie wink
Message 7 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why not just hand over the cash. My phone stays with me. I only let people I know borrow it if necessary. If someone needed to make a call in an emergency that would be fine. I would dial and I would speak. The phone would stay in my hand all the time.
Message 8 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I quite agree total madness!!
Message 9 of 25

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

People are quite gullible I'm sad to say. You would need a spanner to get a 50 pence piece out of my hand, let alone a £500 smartphone.Don't know

Message 10 of 25