Did you mean: 

This is scary!

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

'More guns in fewer hands' - US study charts rise of hardcore super owners

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/19/us-gun-ownership-survey?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_...

So 3% of Americans own half of the guns in the USA, a frightening 17 firearms each. You have to ask why? It's no wonder we see reports of mass shooting over there. Not to forget these figures are the legally held licences. 

265 million guns held by only 22% of the population! 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Guns dont kill people, people do. Ban all guns and they will just pick up knifes. But massive knifes killings are less likely.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 2 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 123516 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

I find it very frightening @jonsie. It appears to be such a cultural issue in America. One family holds a gun, their kids hold two, their kids hold three etc etc etc.

Problem is the National Rifle Association (NRA) has so much control in the States as they fund a lot of presidential candidates (among other things) so I can't see anything changing for the better.

Whilst they are so freely available to many... without proper checks and regulations in place, people will continue to buy them through illegal sources. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 123516 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

I also think we are far beyond the point of educating people. You only have to look at all the bombs that have been detonated in New York this weekend....Sickening state of affairs. I am sure @Bambino is in despair for his home country. slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 20

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23265 Posts
  • 1031 Topics
  • 3700 Solutions

The suspect in all the recent bombings has been captured, which is great news. He's been shot, but not seriously, and is in police custody. It's so rare that any ever survive these shootouts, so hopefully they'll be able to question him and get some answers, but that all depends on how cooperative he is. Still good news nevertheless.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 123516 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

I just saw it on the news @Bambino. From what the report said, the suspect was a 'bit of an amateur'. I thought that was a weird expression but apparently two of the bombs were found easily, as no attempt had been made to hide them at all. Obviously they are trying to find if he had links to any terror groups.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 20

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23265 Posts
  • 1031 Topics
  • 3700 Solutions

I think they used that phrase @Cleoriff because 1. The devices used weren't very sophisticated. 2. He apparently was seen very clearly on CCTV and was identified very quickly. 3. He didn't seem to have an escape plan, which enabled the law enforcment agencies to apprehend him in an incredibly short time. From the time the first device went off, to his capture took 50 hours, which was remarkable.

The US has a system in place called Amber Alert. There is an app for phones. It played a very big part in the speed that it took to end the search. The general public played a big part.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 123516 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I think they used that phrase @Cleoriff because 1. The devices used weren't very sophisticated. 2. He apparently was seen very clearly on CCTV and was identified very quickly. 3. He didn't seem to have an escape plan, which enabled the law enforcment agencies to apprehend him in an incredibly short time. From the time the first device went off, to his capture took 50 hours, which was remarkable.

The US has a system in place called Amber Alert. There is an app for phones. It played a very big part in the speed that it took to end the search. The general public played a big part.

Yes @Bambino I heard they used mobile phones to ask the public to help. I had no idea how they did that. (Not heard of Amber Alert before if honest) My husband remarked on the speed of his capture. A job well done by the US agencies.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 20

MI5
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

Yes @Bambino I heard they used mobile phones to ask the public to help. I had no idea how they did that. (Not heard of Amber Alert before if honest) My husband remarked on the speed of his capture. A job well done by the US agencies.

Can be done over a cell broadcast system too without the need for an app.

Often used for severe weather warnings in some parts of the country.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 9 of 20

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Didn't they develop a similar alert system for parts of the UK too actually, if I remember correctly?

Message 10 of 20