Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The BBC and Thailand

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

This could be very worrying for the BBC staff in their Thailand office. It would seem they have made a grave mistake in the profile of the new King here. I can't actually access the link here because the Thai government has blocked it now but to publicise anything the army consider even slightly defamatory of the Royal Family usually results in a 20 year prison sentence for each offence. You have heard of the Bangkok Hilton in reference to the prison here, everything you have heard about or read about is probably only a small part of your worst nightmare.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-38238779

Thailand investigates BBC over King Maha Vajiralongkorn profile

The BBC could be prosecuted in Thailand if a profile it published of the new king is found in breach of lese majeste laws, the prime minister has said.

"As they have an office in Thailand and Thai reporters work there they must be prosecuted when they violate Thai law," Prayuth Chan-ocha told reporters.

The BBC Thai-language website published the article last week after King Maha Vajiralongkorn ascended the throne.

The BBC has yet to be told if formal charges have been laid against it.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23177 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

That sounds scary. Why would the BBC do that, knowing the consequences?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 13

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

The thing is that I can't access the link. I'm going to have a look via VPN now.

Message 3 of 13

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 123258 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

The article you couldnt access here @jonsie

"The BBC could be prosecuted in Thailand if a profile it published of the new king is found in breach of lese majeste laws, the prime minister has said.

"As they have an office in Thailand and Thai reporters work there they must be prosecuted when they violate Thai law," Prayuth Chan-ocha told reporters.

The BBC Thai-language website published the article last week after King Maha Vajiralongkorn ascended the throne.

The BBC has yet to be told if formal charges have been laid against it.

"BBC Thai was established to bring impartial, independent and accurate news to a country where the media faces restrictions, and we are confident that this article adheres to the BBC's editorial principles," a BBC spokesperson said.

Police have visited the BBC's Bangkok office as part of their investigation. It began after complaints about the article - which was published in the UK and has since been blocked online in Thailand - by royalists who accuse the BBC of defaming the king.

At the weekend, an opponent of Thailand's military-backed government was arrested after sharing the profile on his Facebook page.

He is thought to be the first person charged with defaming the monarchy since the new king succeeded his father.

Human rights groups accuse the military-backed government of using the royal defamation law as a way of cracking down on opponents.

King Vajiralongkorn's father, the revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej, died on 13 October at the age of 88 after seven decades on the throne

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Everyone here, be they Thai or any other nationality, has to be very wary of what they say in public or on social media.

Message 6 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123258 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

I would need to walk round with gaffer tape across my mouth then...Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 144833 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
Great idea tongue
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123258 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Great idea tongue

You would be lost without me having a rant occasionally...Who the hell else would take the risk...??Banana

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 144833 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

Yeah, I was forgetting how lucky we were LOL

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 13