Did you mean: 

Ronnie O'Sullivan controversey

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Ronnie O'Sullivan under fire for refusing to complete 147 break

Ronnie O'Sullivan found himself at the centre of controversy on the first day of the Welsh Open after he deliberately refused the chance of a maximum break in protest over prize money.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2016-02-16/ronnie-osullivan-under-fire-for-refusing-to-complete-147-b...

"I knew it was 10 grand and I just thought that's a bit too cheap really. To make a maxi, it's such a massive achievement and if they're going to pay us 10 grand, I think it's worth a bit more than that. It's like going into a Mercedes garage and when they say that you can have the car for £3,000, you reply, 'No way, that's too cheap. I'm not buying it for that'. Certain things have value, and a 147 is a special moment. I want it to feel special all round. But the punters still got value for money today. Now they've got something more to look forward to. There's still room for improvement.

– Ronnie O'Sullivan

Whilst I understand his point, it would have been far better to go for the 147, don't forget people are paying good money to go and watch him, win the £10,000 and give it to charity.
That would have made a far bigger statement and whilst 10 grand may not be much to him, it's a lifeline for many. I'm a little disappointed in the great man!
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Cleoriff
  • 123252 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Ronnie O'Sullivan can do very little wrong in my opinion. People don't go to see him get a 147, they go to see him play. A 147 is a bonus. Let's face it, if he had scored the maximum who would be talking about it today? No-one. He made a point. Long may he continue to ignite the world of snooker. It would be boring without him.

*Stands back and waits to be panned*  I don't care.....Whistle

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 123252 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

This has been discussed on many news channels today. Some are disgusted... others aren't.

One in the 'disgusted' camp said 'If you went to see Lewis Hamilton in F1 you wouldn't expect to see him stop 3 yards from the finishing line would you?' 

One of the others replied with this.

'No you wouldn't...but if you asked him to do 20 donuts in the car at the end for £10,000 you may have been told where to go'

Ronnie didn't throw the match. He won it. He just didn't go for the 147. ...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 39

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Totally agree. Just shows how selfish and greedy these guys get.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 4 of 39

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
If a footballer missed penalties on purpose because their goal bonus wasn't high enough, they would be slaughtered.
Message 5 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 123252 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
If a footballer missed penalties on purpose because their goal bonus wasn't high enough, they would be slaughtered.

Different thing completely. A footballer is up there to take penalties to win the game.

Ronnie had won the game. A 147 was a bonus

If you asked that footballer to do 200 keepie uppies after the game to please the crowd he may have said forget it pal...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 39

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
So if man u were 3-0 up and Rooney purposefully missed a penalty and then said it's because his goal bonus wasn't good enough, he'd be fine?
Message 7 of 39

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

No one would have thought anymore about it as a 146 is something special to see but he made an actual point of commenting why he didn't decide to try for it. Yes, winning the match was probably more important but to me it just shows a little disregard for not only his fans but for the sport itself.

I had the good fortune to watch a 147 live by Alex Higgins in a match against John Spencer. It lives in the memory and I just find it sad that people in the audience didn't get to see it if it was an option refused simply because the prize money 'wasn't enough'.

Message 8 of 39

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Disagree, if a footballer deliberately missed a penalty he'd be ridiculed, doesn't matter if his team was 5 up.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 9 of 39

MI5
  • 144829 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
Sad day when 10K isn't enough money 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 39