Halloween Movie Discussion/Recommendations

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 649 Posts
  • 40 Topics
  • 16 Solutions

Hey everyone,

I'm starting some early Halloween movie discussion, as once October hits, nobody needs an excuse to light some candles, grab some popcorn, and settle down and watch some horror flicks ghost

Watching movies is one of my favourite things to do in my spare time, so below are some horrors that I recommend watching this Halloween, some of which I've watched in the past couple of weeks ↘️

The Conjuring (2013)

Kicking off with my personal #1 horror film, scoring 7.5/10 on IMDb, this film is based on a true story! In 1970, paranormal investigators and demonologists Lorraine and Ed Warren are summoned to the home of Carolyn and Roger Perron. The Perrons and their five daughters have recently moved into a secluded farmhouse, where a supernatural presence has made itself known. Though the manifestations are relatively benign at first, events soon escalate in horrifying fashion, especially after the Warrens discover the house's macabre history.

The story behind the film is even more frightening and more details on this can be seen here 

giphy (11).gif

REC (2007)

Next up is a film, I've not watched for a few years, however, is still fresh in my memory and is due a re-watch this Halloween. Scoring 7.4/10 on IMDb and placing at number 60 on Time Out's list of the Top 100 Best Horror Films, this movie description is as follows, late-night TV host Angela and her cinematographer are following the fire service on a call to an apartment building, but the Spanish police seal off the building after an old woman is infected by a virus that gives her inhuman strength. This film is in Spanish, so subtitles will be needed.

giphy (7).gif

Talk to Me (2022)

The latest movie released on my list scores 7.2/10 on IMDb and is an Australian supernatural horror film. When a group of friends discover how to conjure spirits with an embalmed hand, they become hooked on the new thrill and high-stakes party game, until one of them goes too far and unleashes terrifying supernatural forces. I watched this a couple of weeks ago and if this tickles your fancy, you're in luck as this comes to UK Netflix on 26 October.

giphy (8).gif

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)

As you may have now noticed, The Conjuring Franchise is one of my favourites, and the third installment released in 2021, is my next recommendation. This is again based on a true story when paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren take on one of the most sensational cases of their careers after a cop stumbles upon a dazed and bloodied young man walking down the road. Accused of murder, the suspect claims demonic possession as his defense, forcing the Warrens into a supernatural inquiry unlike anything they've ever seen before. Even though this has the lowest IMDb score on the list at 6.3/10, it's still worth a watch!

More details on the true story can be seen here, and there is also a documentary on Netflix covering the story named: The Devil On Trial.

giphy (9).gif

Halloween (1978)

I couldn't finish my recommendations without including a classic in the list, and it's the perfect watch if you want to scare off those trick-or-treaters on Halloween evening. The movie synopsis reads, fifteen years after murdering his sister on Halloween night 1963, Michael Myers escapes from a mental hospital and returns to the small town of Haddonfield, Illinois to kill again. If you still haven't had a chance to watch the original Halloween, make 2023 the year, you won't be disappointed with a 7.7/10 score on IMDb.

giphy (10).gif

Thanks for listening and please comment below if you get a chance to watch any of my recommendations with your thoughts 😊

Please also provide your own recommendations below and we can all add them to our must watch lists ✏️

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6616 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Remember sneaking into the cinema, underage to watch this.

At 15 I had read all of Poe's stories. Even had a 16 2/3rds RPM recording of some of them being read, this was the first of 3 films I got to watch including Fall of the House of Usher.

product_2634.jpg

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 30

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10197 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

I know I'm odd but I dont like Horror Films. 

For me the Halloween Films are anything by Tim Burton.. and especially Nightmare Before Christmas, Beetlejuice and Corpse Bride 

madasaf1sh_0-1697733158426.png

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 122982 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

As old as it is, I think The Exorcist is still pretty horrific.

Paranormal Activity is frightening.

Then we come to The Blair Witch Project. Now the hype and lead up to this was brilliant. I was really expecting a superb frightening film. The start was good, I didn't understand the end at all. Watched it again, still didn't get it. 😂 Mind you, it was made on a budget of £50,000 so they did a good job (even though I didn't understand the ending!)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 30

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25163 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I love the old original horror movies and can`t stand these re-makes.

One noteably good horror movie in my opinion is the original The Omen. I remember going to see it at the cinema [I was under-age but staff knew me and let me in] and it scared the whats-its out of me !!! 

And of course if we`re gonna discuss horror movies we can`t let any thread go without mentioning the Stephen King movies if you want a really good horror movie - Christine is my all-time favourite; and love Pet Semetary [again originals not re-make].

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 5 of 30

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122982 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Yes @Mi-Amigo Stephen King. The film that frightened me the most was IT. (The original). My son bought me the book one Christmas, it frightened me so much, I used to kick it under the bed before I settled down to sleep. Made sure I never left my leg hanging out of bed either. 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 30

J9el
Level 9: Fired up
  • 963 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

We love John Carpenter films, so always watch The Fog - It’s perfect for this time of year! 

IMG_5179.jpeg

Message 7 of 30

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 649 Posts
  • 40 Topics
  • 16 Solutions

@Enlli Thanks for sharing, I will add, Premature Burial to my list, it has a decent score of 6.5/10 on IMDb.

For others that may be interested, the synopsis for this film is as follows ➡️ An artist grows distant from his new wife as an irrational horror of premature burial consumes him.

I've also seen there has been a re-make of The Fall of the House of Usher just released on Netflix.

Are you going to check it out?

giphy (15).gif

Message 8 of 30

Dave-O2
  • 649 Posts
  • 40 Topics
  • 16 Solutions

We all have our own favourite genres of film @madasaf1sh 😁

Beetlejuice would probably be my choice out of the three films mentioned above, however, The Nightmare Before Christmas, has the highest score on IMDb at 7.9/10. It tells the story of Jack Skellington, the King of "Halloween Town", who stumbles upon "Christmas Town" and schemes to take over the holiday.

giphy (14).gif

Message 9 of 30

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 649 Posts
  • 40 Topics
  • 16 Solutions

Yes, Yes and Yes @Cleoriff 😂

I've seen each one and rate them all! I must admit though, I've lost count of how many Paranormal Activity films have now been released 😅 Maybe one of @Mi-Amigo to add to one of his quizzes 😂

The Exorcist (1973) is a cult classic and has an impressive score of 8.1/10 on IMDb and this is a film everyone should watch at least once!

However, my choice is going to be The Blair Witch Project. Even though this comes in at 6.5/10, I remember watching this film for the first time and being freaked out, as I couldn't tell if it was real 🙉 Agree with you about not getting the ending, think it could be time for a re-watch 📽

giphy (16).gif

Message 10 of 30