Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Extraordinary' Cancer Breakthrough

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

Tests of a potentially revolutionary cancer therapy have had "extraordinary" results on terminally ill patients, scientists have revealed.

The research, which took place at the Cancer Research Centre in Seattle USA, involves removing immune cells called T-cells from patients, tagging them with "receptor" molecules that target cancer, and putting them back into the body in an infusion.

In one study, more than nine out of ten participants with a severe form of leukaemia and a life expectancy of 3-5 months.....saw their symptoms completely vanish. From a medical perspective I am quite stunned at this news.

Yes, it's in it's infancy and there are no figures as to how long the remission lasts....however the implications for the use of this treatment in other cancers is quite overwhelming.

http://news.sky.com/story/1642626/extraordinary-cancer-breakthrough-revealed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23213 Posts
  • 1029 Topics
  • 3693 Solutions

How incredible would it be if these tests proved that they really were a viable treatment? Fantastic news. Thanks for posting that @Cleoriff.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

BBC News have just spoken with  Professor Stanley Riddell who is leading the research in the US. The study has yet to be published and reviewed. The fact remains, it has been trialled on terminally ill patients and shown to work.

It's an astounding development...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 22

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Was just reading that in the wee hours @Cleoriff ..it is fantastic! Let's hope this is a step to beating this evil disease x
giphy-3
Message 4 of 22

Bambino
  • 23213 Posts
  • 1029 Topics
  • 3693 Solutions

There are so many different types of cancers that this probably isn't a 'cure-all', but what a start, and what a gift for those diagnosed as being terminally ill to go into remission. Amazing.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 22

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Medical research has come on in leaps and bounds these last couple of years but it's only due to years of dedicated research by earlier generations. It's very exciting news and gives hope that this awful disease can be eradicated eventually.

Message 6 of 22

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

I've lost a family member very recently to this awful illness. Any breakthroughs that are found out about are very welcome to me personally. Thanks for posting @Cleoriff.

@Bambino, as you say, so many variations. I hope they can find synchronised healing techniques as research advances.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 7 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

This treatment has been referred to as a 'living drug'. The treatment is created from T cells (white blood cells that normally fight off viruses and bacteria)....these are removed from the patient...genetically tweaked to recognise and attack cancer cells

Cancer immunotherapy.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 22

Bambino
  • 23213 Posts
  • 1029 Topics
  • 3693 Solutions

I'm ashamed to say it, but for years, stem cell research and genetic engineering were banned in the US because of the politics of the evangelical right wing there. Thankfully that was reversed, but politics being what they are in America, there's always the possibility that medical research could be thrown back into the dark ages if the wrong people get elected to office. We can only hope that doesn't happen.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 22

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12147 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1129 Solutions
having not read the links, one of the first positives of this would be the lack of side effects - as the cells are targeting the cancerous tissue the surrounding area should be left alone...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 10 of 22