cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i phone 5 s purchase nightmare

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an i phone 3 GS pay and go, and it is finally on its way out.

Easy, why not buy another I phone from the O2 on-line store you say!

That's exactly what I have attempted to do.

About 4 weeks ago I found a very nice I phone 5 s at the O2 shop online, and contacted the O2 customer service to purchase the phone.

I gave my security details over and exchanged my Halifax debit card details. Because of the high price, Halifax sent a security check mobile phone call to me to check that no one else is using my card. Unfortunately due to the lack of signal coverage it meant I missed that call and the payment was rejected.

No problems I said, I will give you my HSBC debit card details and the transaction was made. I even purchased the accessories pack with it.

A new SIM card was dispatched to my address, and the phone was to arrive in the next two working days.

The SIM card arrived and hrs later my old 3 GS mobile lost its signal completely. Weird I thought, perhaps my old phone has finally packed up. No problems the new 5s will arrive tomorrow. Two more days passed and no phone.

I rang O2 customer services answered the security questions and asked them for an update on delivery.

I was told my phone was out of stock and I would have to wait for new stock to come back in.  The reason my phone ‘s signal coverage had gone was that O2 had de -activated my old SIM card and activated the new SIM card. Many apologies were offered and I was told that my old SIM card will be re-activated, but I would have to wait up to 48hrs and keep checking my phone every 2 hours.

Mmmm! This is starting to grow into a problem I thought. O2 have now got my money, I am without the goods and no idea when I will be receiving them.

A few more days passed. No phone.

I rang O2 customer services, delivered my security answers and ask for the whereabouts of my 5 s i phone. After several minutes of checking, O2 informed me that the order was cancelled because of the debit card check. I explained that because of the lack of signal coverage on my mobile that check could not be confirmed. However, the second debit card was successful, and O2 now had my money in their bank. I asked them to send me my phone and accessories please. I had passed all of their security questions , they know it’s me and I confirmed that my bank had paid O2 the full amount for the goods.

The O2 operative said sorry you will have to have your money credited back to your bank, and that can take up to 14 days. Then re-order.

I replied, I do not want my money credited back to me. O2 have got my money in their bank, so please send me my goods that I have purchased.

Again the O2 operative said, sorry I cannot do anything else.

I asked to speak to the shift manager but she was unavailable!

Is it me? Or is this issue barking mad?

What seemed to be a simple sorry sir, yes we have your money and you have passed all our security questions, we will send you your goods strait away- has turned into a very complicated back to the drawing board exercise.

I and my family have been with o2 now a number of happy years. However this has left a very nasty taste in my mouth and we are now thinking of moving service provider.

Any advise?

Martin

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MartinC and welcome to the Forum,

In hindsight you could have picked up a free sim adapter from an o2 shop or have one posted out and put the nano sim in that so you could use the iPhone 3gs, while the iPhone 5s turns up and then your all set with your sim card too.

We do hear of phones first being in stock and then going out of stock, however the iPhone 5s should be out of its product launch limited stock status.

Why not ring your local O2 store and ask if they have them in-stock and then arrange to collect one from them. You may be required to cancel the online order and then start again.

If your paying Full Retail price being on PAYG, then I would suggest buying one from your most local Apple Store , as they are factory unlocked also. The ones from O2 are not, and at the moment have restrictions on unlocking them.

You could make a complaint about your experience but alas I think you will be supplied with a standard apology about stocking levels. 

On a side note if you are still on PAYG then their is a 4G PAYG tariff available if your in a 4G area.

Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes it does sound mad and we hearing this more and more of phones showing in stock then they are not really I would think about making a complaint on this one
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MartinC and welcome to the Forum,

In hindsight you could have picked up a free sim adapter from an o2 shop or have one posted out and put the nano sim in that so you could use the iPhone 3gs, while the iPhone 5s turns up and then your all set with your sim card too.

We do hear of phones first being in stock and then going out of stock, however the iPhone 5s should be out of its product launch limited stock status.

Why not ring your local O2 store and ask if they have them in-stock and then arrange to collect one from them. You may be required to cancel the online order and then start again.

If your paying Full Retail price being on PAYG, then I would suggest buying one from your most local Apple Store , as they are factory unlocked also. The ones from O2 are not, and at the moment have restrictions on unlocking them.

You could make a complaint about your experience but alas I think you will be supplied with a standard apology about stocking levels. 

On a side note if you are still on PAYG then their is a 4G PAYG tariff available if your in a 4G area.

Message 3 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145053 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
Oh dear, bureaucracy gone mad 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why did O2 deactivate the customer's working sim before the customer had the new handset delivered?

Why didn't O2 wait for the customer to ring them up & say " Yes I've got the new phone & new sim, can you please transfer my number over "

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like the advisor jumped the gun somewhat. 😞

It's normally left for the customer to perform the simswap at home when both arrive.

Talk about inconveniencing the customer !!
Message 6 of 6