cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The future of BlackBerry on O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a question possibly for the moderators like Toby and Chiara, but I'd like to bring up O2's lack of BlackBerry models on sale.

With only the Q5 and Q10 available now, and despite the Z10 and Z30 being available to stock (I got my Z10 from O2 last year), are O2 no longer going to sell/stock BlackBerry smartphones? Will there be a lack of support for existing devices in the future?

Why aren't O2 stocking legacy BBOS7 devices such as a cheaper Curve model like the 9720 or the 9320 any longer? Surely there is still a huge customer base using Curve handsets?

I'm not one to suggest an ulterior motive, so as a long term BlackBerry user on O2 it would be interesting to hear the official stance as to why O2 have seriously slimmed down the choice of BlackBerry phones available.

Message 1 of 95
94 REPLIES 94

Anonymous
Not applicable
I too was disappointed not to see the Z30 not being available. The Z10 looks a great phone although it is now dirt cheap from £190 sim free handset without a contract from CPW as Blackberry had built far too many compared to how many were actually sold.

Do o2 have a customer panel to ask these sorts of questions? Just a thought but may be a good idea. ...
Message 11 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris_K wrote:

Throughout the year we're presented with literally hundreds of devices from all manufactures, all looking for us to range their handsets. We unfortunately can't range them all, but we do use our expertise and insight to select the best devices for our customers, whilst also ensuring they work for us too.

There will always be the case that a customer may seek a device we're not ranging, but on the whole we're happy with our proven approach based on the feedback customers have given. We reiterate that we still work with BlackBerry and our non ranging of the Z30 is not prejudiced.

Thanks again for the reply Chris.

However as Piperdog has said, do O2 have any sort of customer panel where it can be decided which phones to stock? If not, who decides which phones are best suited for O2 customers?

If you have a look at the Device Loan thread, there are more than a few of us on this community who would have liked to have tested the Z10 as part of the device trial. I'm sure that must tell you that BlackBerry's flagship devices (Z10 and Z30) should be stocked rather than the two physical keyboard phones (Q5 and Q10) that O2 currently do stock.

I hate seeing people on here using the "I'm leaving" threat, but as it stands there is nothing to make me stay with O2 when I pay off the remainder of my contract in June. I'm sure there are many more loyal BlackBerry 10 owners in the same situation, particularly the Z10-owning O2 customers, who will all be nearing the end of their contracts soon.

Message 12 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris_K

I have to call you on this as you are not being 100% honest.

Near the end of March, early April our children's contracts were up for renewal and we replaced the old BB handsets with the Q5. We were told at the time that all the Z10 and Z30 handsets had been removed and returned by the store staff.

This for me is not acceptable as it now forces me to take our business elsewhere as we don't do crApple and there is no way on God's green earth we will ever do Android devices as our information and data is our own, not for prying eyes.

My wife's contract is up now and we want the Z30 to replace her 9860 and my Z10 is up for replacement in September. It's likely we will have to switch to a different mobile provider.

Message 13 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Kylock

There is another thought process here. CPW sell the Z10 sim free for less than £200. Assuming you have the funds you could purchase sim free and then have an o2 sim only contract (much cheaper than contract as you would have bought the handset) and you get to stay with BB.

Sadly for your good lady the handset cost is much higher as in excess of £450 to purchase outright so that may or may not be an option.

Hope that helps
Message 14 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would also add by buying sim free you get updates quicker and you don't get the o2 bloatware that comes with o2 handsets.
Message 15 of 95

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

I'm truly sorry you feel this way but I promise you I've not been dishonest in any information I have provided. We still partner with Blackberry and are proud of doing so. To quote something I had said previously:
"We unfortunately can't range them all, but we do use our expertise and insight to select the best devices for our customers, whilst also ensuring they work for us too."

I'm sorry we don't stock the particular handset(s) you've been looking for. We hope you're able to source one elsewhere or find a suitable alternative from the range of devices we do stock.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 16 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ piperdog123

I am aware of the options available to me, and with regards the bloatware, it's not an issue as I reflash the handsets anyway but the gist of my statement was referring to the dishonesty of the replies, they are fully aware that they are not supplying the Z10 and Z30 handsets and that is a concious decision of some not so bright individuals.

With regards the Z10 I don't need to get one, I have one and due to upgrade in September...

Message 17 of 95

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I don't think Blackberry is any more secure than Android or iOS. Don't you watch the news anymore?

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 18 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

Initially I was going to type a whole wall of text but decided to say just: lmao, I know otherwise.

crApple devices are excluded not because of security but because they are crap in general.

Message 19 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

That's cool. Was trying to assist. We are all customers so we don't know where each person is in terms of knowing the options available.
Message 20 of 95