cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private number caller - i need to go to the police for harassment

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

For the past month i have been getting private number calls at random times in the day. But they have increased in frequency the past 3 days. Especially when i am asleep. I have the ability to block private numbers, but do not want to as that his how my mother and solicitor contact me as their work doesnt let out numbers.

I know exactly who it is, but i am unable to prove it to the police, as this is now, according to them, harassment. These are malicious calls which is defined in the following ways

Random calls by pranksters

Calls at hours when you are sleeping

Calls where the caller says nothing, is obscene or is threatening to you,   your family or your property

I answer, but do not say hello and wait for them to speak, i can hear a car driving and they do not speak and then hangup. I am very very tired. Past 3 days the calls have come at 1am and woken me out of my deep sleep.

What can I do as i need to go to the police as i know exactly who it is and know that they will not stop. Can 02 trace these calls? Or is there something I am able to do?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144563 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions
Report it to the police as contact from them to the perp may be enough to make them stop. O2 will change your number for you (once, free of charge) or you could just put your phone into airplane mode at night if this is the only times the calls are really bothering you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144563 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions
Report it to the police as contact from them to the perp may be enough to make them stop. O2 will change your number for you (once, free of charge) or you could just put your phone into airplane mode at night if this is the only times the calls are really bothering you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

all info here http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),C...

Once the police are involved they can contact o2 to help resolve it

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just like to say I hope this gets resolved soon for you.

Take care.
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

The police will be able to find out who it is even if it is a withheld number and they should be able to prosecute for harassment on those grounds

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing your number is the probable route.

I would tend to think the police would only ask the network to track or triangulate the call / number if threat of life or terrorism etc was evident.

Silent calls are so nasty.

Message 6 of 6