Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Reception varies according to phone

NickSheeran
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a conundrum with my personal iphone 12 which is on pay monthly O2. At home (and most other places) I only get one bar of network reception. However my wife's phone (also on O2 pay monthly) gets 4 bars. And my work mobile too (also O2 pay monthly) gets 4 bars. All three phones are in the same room; two getting 4 bars of reception but my personal phone only one bar. I thought it must be the fault of my iphone so I swapped the SIM from my work phone into my personal phone and Lo & Behold! my personal phone now gets 4 bars! So it cannot be the fault of my iphone. So it must be the SIM? But I have had three new SIMs from O2 over the past 4 weeks and none of them have sorted the issue. What can the resolution be?   

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36712 Posts
  • 237 Topics
  • 1636 Solutions

I was going to suggest removing and cleaning the SIM, then getting a replacement - but you have already done that.

As it is an iPhone, you may be able to get the phone checked over at an Apple store, if there is one with a repair team convenient to you?

Does your SIM perform similarly poorly when put into your work phone?

Message 2 of 5

japitts
Level 4: Observant
  • 108 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

It can be perfectly normal for two phones on the same network to display different amount of coverage bars depending on the serving site they're connecting to, or also different carriers on the same site.

Unusual for the symptoms to be consistent, and for them to follow a SIM-swap. Does this cause any service issues? And do the bars vary if you're on a voice call?

Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145294 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27890 Solutions

@NickSheeran 

Are all phones showing 4g or 5g or a mix?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 4 of 5

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36712 Posts
  • 237 Topics
  • 1636 Solutions

@NickSheeran - the 4G or 5G mentioned above could be a factor, if a mast issue exists in your area:

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/o2-call-service-issue-affecting-many-customers-na...

This app running on both phones may help:

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network

Good luck.

Message 5 of 5