cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone farce!

Anonymous
Not applicable
In August 2009, I purchased a 3G black Iphone on a two year contract. It recently developed problems - 3 hour battery life, overheating & signal drop out.
I emailed O2 & was told to take it to Apple which I did & was told that the handset was "obsolete & no longer supported". I again emailed O2 & was told to take it to an O2 store where I was told again "it's obsolete". I again emailed O2 & was told again to take it to Apple I was then offered a refurbished white handset provided that I returned the original black one. I declined. If I had wanted a white one, I would have bought one in the first place. In a subsequent email, I was told this was a gesture of "goodwill" as they did not have offer me anything!!!!!!!
I was then telephoned by O2 & the lady admitted that the email team were not based in the UK & did not understand the differences between handset & I had been misinformed. I suggested that I upgraded early but I would have to "pay off" my existing contract at a cost of £285.
So I am now stuck with an obsolete, unsable handset for the remainder of my contract.
What a wonderful example of "oversell-undeliver"
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
So it is out of warranty but apple still list as available for out of warranty repair at a cost of £139 instore see my links.
You will have to pay the out of warranty fee.
I am suprised apple told you obsolete for out of warranty.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Both Apple & O2 refused to repair the phone even though I offered to pay & stated it was "obsolete"!!
Message 3 of 6

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Sorry then but why do apple show on there web site was this at a genius appointment?
http://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone/ ... #warranty7 even lists original iphone
Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 6

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
so if obsolete why are o2 still selling with 12 months warranty?????
http://shop.o2.co.uk/promo/iphoneindex/ ... itioned_3G
Apple Watch series 4

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
In August 2009, I purchased a 3G black Iphone on a two year contract. It recently developed problems - 3 hour battery life, overheating & signal drop out.
I emailed O2 & was told to take it to Apple which I did & was told that the handset was "obsolete & no longer supported". I again emailed O2 & was told to take it to an O2 store where I was told again "it's obsolete". I again emailed O2 & was told again to take it to Apple I was then offered a refurbished white handset provided that I returned the original black one. I declined. If I had wanted a white one, I would have bought one in the first place. In a subsequent email, I was told this was a gesture of "goodwill" as they did not have offer me anything!!!!!!!
I was then telephoned by O2 & the lady admitted that the email team were not based in the UK & did not understand the differences between handset & I had been misinformed. I suggested that I upgraded early but I would have to "pay off" my existing contract at a cost of £285.
So I am now stuck with an obsolete, unsable handset for the remainder of my contract.
What a wonderful example of "oversell-undeliver"

You are plain mad to have refused the "Apple" refurbished white one and it is indeed a decent gesture of goodwill. You could have bought a black case to cover it up if the white offends you so much. Without question, it would have been your cheapest option.
In August, you could upgrade to the iPhone 5 and used the recycling kickback on the white 3G (at least £120) to pay for your new handset and a case etc.

Sounds to me that you got yourself in a tizzy and resultantly couldn't spot a generous offer when it was staring you in the face. Or, is it possible you were holding out for a better offer that didn't come and now you have no way back on the white one? slight_smile
At the end of the day, the problem is yours and yours to sort out! It is certainly not O2's problem.
Message 6 of 6