cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Protection Act and the storage of the contents of texts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how long is this data stored for and why am i having so much trouble trying to get access to the contents of text messages that have been sent from my phone?

the subject access form states that the content cannot be provided but under the data protection act surely i have a right to see this information?

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

Is this any good....?

21.3 You authorise us to use and disclose, in the UK and abroad, information about you, your use of the Service including, but not limited to, phone numbers and/or email addresses of calls, texts, data and other communications (“Communications”) made and received by you and the date, duration, time and cost of such Communications, how you conduct your account and the location of your Mobile Phone for the purposes of operating your account and providing you with the Service, for credit control purposes, fraud and crime detection and prevention and the investigation and prevention of civil offences or as required for reasons of national security or under law to our associated companies, partners or agents, any telecommunications company, debt collection agency or credit reference agency and fraud prevention agency or government agency and other users of these agencies who may use this information for the same purpose as us. You can get more details from our public registration held by the Information Commissioner. If you want details of the credit reference or the fraud prevention agencies from whom we get, and with whom we record, information about you or you want to receive a copy of the information we hold about you (we’ll charge a fee), please write to the Data Controller at Telefónica UK Limited, 260 Bath Road, Slough, SL1 4DX or go to the ‘Contact Us’ section of our Website. You’ll need to tell us your full name, address, account number and Mobile Phone number.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is information on the DPA from Ofcom:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/data-protection/

Message 2 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the link, i was quite aware of that information already. what i would like to know is;

1. how long is the content of text messages stored by o2?

2. why cannot i be provided witht the content of text messages sent from my mobile as per the data protection act and right of subject access?

Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not entirely sure, sorry.

I guess it is because the SMS are probably stored for law enforcement purposes and not treated the same as 'consumer data'. But I could be wrong - that's just a guess.

Message 4 of 17

MI5
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
In the T&C's O2 state that messages will be stored for 12 months. opium is correct in that it falls under the "law enforcement" purposes and the information will be made available at the request of a legal representative.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 17

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

O2 have always stated that content of text messages are not availabl although they can be supplied as part of a criminal investigation. There are many apps that backup call logs and text and mms messages now although that won't help in your particular case. Might be worth considering for future reference though.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,KB=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mob...

Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the replies.

yep, it appears that there is an exemption, "personal data processed for the purposes of making judicial, Crown, or Ministerial appointments or for conferring honours."

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/the_guide/exemptions.aspx

does anyone know where this, or the equivelant, is stated in the t&cs?

Message 7 of 17

MI5
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

Is this any good....?

21.3 You authorise us to use and disclose, in the UK and abroad, information about you, your use of the Service including, but not limited to, phone numbers and/or email addresses of calls, texts, data and other communications (“Communications”) made and received by you and the date, duration, time and cost of such Communications, how you conduct your account and the location of your Mobile Phone for the purposes of operating your account and providing you with the Service, for credit control purposes, fraud and crime detection and prevention and the investigation and prevention of civil offences or as required for reasons of national security or under law to our associated companies, partners or agents, any telecommunications company, debt collection agency or credit reference agency and fraud prevention agency or government agency and other users of these agencies who may use this information for the same purpose as us. You can get more details from our public registration held by the Information Commissioner. If you want details of the credit reference or the fraud prevention agencies from whom we get, and with whom we record, information about you or you want to receive a copy of the information we hold about you (we’ll charge a fee), please write to the Data Controller at Telefónica UK Limited, 260 Bath Road, Slough, SL1 4DX or go to the ‘Contact Us’ section of our Website. You’ll need to tell us your full name, address, account number and Mobile Phone number.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah, thats the one i just highlighted. also maybe this, "2.4 We may record or monitor some telephone calls, emails and any other communications between you and us for training and quality control and our lawful business purposes. Our third party agents may do the same."

but think thats more pertaining to commercial use.

didnt know you werent allowed to send indecent material!! :manlol:

Message 9 of 17

MI5
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

didnt know you werent allowed to send indecent material!! :manlol:

Me neither Smiley Surprised

Currently using:
Message 10 of 17