cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Spam Calls Starting with Virgin to O2 change over (User Data Leaked?)

NTL42
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Since the change over from Virgin to O2 I keep getting spam calls trying to get access to my account. 

Has there been a leak of out Data into the Indian Spam organisations as it has also happened to my partner and a couple of friends at the same time. 

Is there not an easy way for O2 to block these calls on their network as it seems to be of epidemic proportions.  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10230 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

@NTL42 

The spammers are using publicly available data from OFCOM to create dialling plans of 100K rows and then are just setting autodialer to call out using dodgy call providers. 

I can create one in 15minutes, and have a full spam operation ready to go... 

Unfortunately, there is not much o2 can do about it, it needs OFCOM to take action against the companies who sell and allow these numbers to be spoofed.. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 11

NTL42
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I see what you're saying but the timing is far too perfect.

It is too easy to do and the fines are not large enough. 

I note some YouTubers are doing a more effective job than our officials at working against these call centres.

Sad times, maybe GDPR laws maybe a way to go but knowing our government and companies it will be stuck in an investigation for years with no action taken. 

Message 3 of 11

NTL42
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Could you tell me where this "publicly available information" is please, I have had a search and cannot see how they could find my number and link it to virgin (it was another providers previously). 

I am still convinced that it was an inside job but proving it is another matter

Message 4 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It is more likely to be one of O2's partner companies either selling on or giving access to O2's customer data base

I would think that 'publicly available information' is a figment of someone's imagination

Message 5 of 11

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6687 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1494 Solutions

Agreed. Especially as some people have ported numbers

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 11

madasaf1sh
  • 10230 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

3rd time of trying to post this.... 

The XLSX file from OFCOM is not a figment of anyone's imagination @jonsie 

It can be found here @NTL42  https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-industry/numbering/numbering-d...

And Virgins Numbers are still listed as Virgin Mobile Telecoms Limited..    (a subset of these is posted below)

madasaf1sh_0-1697036281750.png

Message 7 of 11

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6687 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1494 Solutions

What about ported numbers. Mine is still showing allocation to Vodafone. It was moved to O2 two years ago. But I still got the OTP text followed by the phone call

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 8 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

So I wonder why these Virgin customers weren't subjected  to constant spam before they changed to O2

Look up most of these spammers own numbers and almost all are O2 customers who are targetted and not just numbers migrated from Virgin

I'm still convinced that my explanation is much more plausible 

Message 9 of 11

madasaf1sh
  • 10230 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

A publicly announced migration, makes a nice easy social engineering attack, and you only have to get a hit rate of less than 1% and for the less techy and vulnerable users to agree to giving away the o2 OTP that they generate, and you are in, you can do what you want... 

Quite clever in some respects..

Added to the fact that the Virgin Security ethos relies on email and password (a simple one at that ) means an email phishing attack wont get any response... 

For o2 customers the same applies, create a dialling list and start by saying we are calling from o2, and we want to offer you xyz for being a loyal customer, we have sent you a code please pass it over " then again they have access to your account, and all your personal data... 

If only VMo2 used what Monzo now do in the app, to say if they are or arent calling you, this would stop this dead... 

Message 10 of 11