cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a NAS device to my network (Part 2)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys

I have, as mentioned back on 4th November, added the NETGEAR ReadyNAS Duo 2 device to my computer system and so, for this temporary period, made it a one-man network.

The hardware setup was a breeze, once I installed the WD 2TB Caviar Green HD into the ReadyNAS, connected the yellow ethernet cable between the O2 IV Box and the NAS, switched on the power to the NAS and the thing virtually configured itself by formatting the HD, in XRaid2, and announcing it was ready for use.

The first thing I did, after establishing contact via its setup software, was to make sure that the ReadyNAS and the O2 IV Box modem/router kept in communication via a static IP address, as advised by NPR. As a side effect of using this I did not have to worry about my NIS2013 firewall blocking my NAS, it just seem to blend in with my current protective capabilities. Also, I have since found out that I can use my anti-virus sofware, part of my NIS2013 suite, to scan the drives I have mapped onto the NAS.

You know, the best thing about this is how easy it is to set up Shares/Folders/Directories by using the ReadyNAS software, then using Windows Explorer to map to those shares and simultaneously setting up subfolders, if required. However, subfolders will auto-setup if the data you are copying/moving across, from your windows PC, already has them.  

I have had an enjoyable, but slow, time getting stuff (data) off my PC and putting them onto the NAS hard drive, where it has hardly made a blip.

My next stage is to either help my son to repair his PC, so that he can re-connect to the Internet and stream (read only) media from my NAS or buy a "WD TV Live Streaming Media Player" to stream stuff from the Internet or my NAS to my living room TV.

The only real problem now is to find out how add "no access" and "read only access" for my son on the NAS shares I have created.

UK Bob

PS. I intend to buy, and install, another WD 2TB Caviar Green HD very soon.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

I believe with NAS you can create secondary accounts and create permissions such read only/write only and so on.

This should be documented in the manuals you received with the software.

Great job:)

Edit:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/30462-netgear-readynas-duo-reviewed?start=2

figure 6 onwards:) hope this helps.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Guys

My next stage is to either help my son to repair his PC, so that he can re-connect to the Internet and stream (read only) media from my NAS or buy a "WD TV Live Streaming Media Player" to stream stuff from the Internet or my NAS to my living room TV.

UK Bob

PS. I intend to buy, and install, another WD 2TB Caviar Green HD very soon.

You could try the cheap option and use a "Raspberry Pi"
https://export.farnell.com/jsp/raspi/orderPad.jsp?COM=raspi-group&country=GB

Running firmware raspbmc.
http://www.raspbmc.com/

Still very much at the beta stage but lots of fun and improving all the time wink

I've got one streaming films and music from a USB drive connected to the USB socket on a O2 box IV.
It also plays bbc Iplayer and ITV player, but has problems with channel 4 and 5 players.

Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys

I just want to quickly reply to two answers I got:

Liquid

Yes you are right, I can and did create a secondary user account and assigned it read/write permission to my existing shares/folders.

However, what confused me was that there was an "Everyone" default user account with read/write permission but such permission did not materialise when a new user account was created. I since found out the if "Everyone" default read/write was unticked then read/write permissions for created users would appear, this was not made clear in the "manuals".

I can now finely tune the access rights to precisely to any share/folder I may now create on my ReadyNAS device, i.e. private data will be kept private to me and other users may have read-only rights to other folders.

NPR

The "Raspberry Pi" seems like too much hard work, you see I am after certain facilities that the family can enjoy and without being too self absorbed.

I can say that my current endgame will get my wife's approval, working on this "Pi" computer will not.

UK Bob 

Message 4 of 4