Did you mean: 

S3 has always taken about 6 hours to fully charge

GJD
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Hello!
I've had an s3 since November 2013. I've been very satisfied with the phone but since the beginning it has taken about 6 hours to charge. I'd got used to this, but if say the battery is low when I get up on a morning it takes bloody ages to charge and so the phone is likely to run out of battery if I'm away from home.

I did a recent web search and have read people saying the s3 is the fastest-charging phone they've had.

So something is seriously wrong with my set-up. I always charge it from the original Samsung mains charger (1A output) using the supplied USB cable. And I've read about 4 or 5 pins in the USB cable being an issue, and that people have managed to get Samsung to replace the cable as there was a dodgy batch or something. (Mine has 4 pins at both ends of the USB cable).

I wonder if it's worth bothering trying to get Samsung to replace it, or whether I'll have to just fork out for a new cable and 2A charger?

Thanks for any tips!

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145053 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
2 hours tops on the standard 1amp charger. Mine is the hard wired charger and I only use the USB cable for PC connections.
I said the "quickest way" because it could take a week or two for Samsung to reply with a decision and even if it is in your favour you will have to send your old lead back and wait for a replacement.
For a few quid for a new USB lead off Amazon you could be sorted by tomorrow wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 145053 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
A 1a charger is fine for the S3 but the cable does sound dodgy.
Fastest way is for you to just buy a new one off Amazon.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

It could be the battery not holding charge as it should ,and may need replacing.

Or pop into an O2 store and ask to use a charger in the store. That way you know if the charger you have May be faulty or it's the phone.

If you speak to Samsung via their uk support website they may out of customer service do something for you in he way of a replacement.

If you don't ask you don't get. wink
Message 3 of 10

GJD
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Thanks to you both for the replies.

The battery holds charge fine; that's not the issue. It's just the length of time it takes to charge. I've emailed Samsung customer support but I doubt I'll get far. I bought the phone from the Carphone Warehouse, and again, I doubt I'd get far with them seven or eight months down the line. Although of course, the staff may be aware of the issue.

I note that there is a 2V Samsung charger available (£20 from Samsung, £5 from ebay). I have the feeling the issue is more to do with the cable though.

I'll see what reply I get from Samsung and then may go down to the Carphone Warehouse shop.

How long does your S3 take to charge from "Battery Low" bleep to 100% by the way?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 145053 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
2 hours tops on the standard 1amp charger. Mine is the hard wired charger and I only use the USB cable for PC connections.
I said the "quickest way" because it could take a week or two for Samsung to reply with a decision and even if it is in your favour you will have to send your old lead back and wait for a replacement.
For a few quid for a new USB lead off Amazon you could be sorted by tomorrow wink

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 5 of 10

GJD
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Oh -- I never received a hard-wired charger. It was just the UK power plug shaped thing with a USB socket (with the annoying feature of the USB socket and cable when attached sticking out of the wrong side -- the top rather than the bottom of the plug -- so you can't plug it into a cable-wind 4-way extension lead if there are other plugs plugged in.

I've just had an email from Samsung -- they suggest to begin with:

1. Charge your device using another Samsung charger. (I don't have one)

2. Charge your device by connecting to a PC using an USB Cable. (Not ideal and not my charging method of choice. And just as slow if not slower than using the AC plug).

Do you know which specific type of lead I would need? I wouldn't want to buy any old other cable that is just as naff as the one I've got!

Thanks very much again!

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 145053 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
The beauty of all android handsets worldwide is that they all take the exact same charger so I would just recommend buying the cheapest GENUINE phone charger available.
O2 used to sell an approved generic one for around £7 but you can get them on ebay for less - Just make sure it is an any OE genuine and it will have the required protection circuits in it - Do not buy a no name Chinese rip off inless you want hassle and further expense.
I just did a search on Amazon for "Genuine Samsung Charger" and the first hit was one for £4.99.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 7 of 10

GJD
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Samsung sent me a new one -- new AC charger and USB lead. It arrived the day after I emailed them my proof of purchase!

I wish I'd asked this months ago when I first got the phone; I just accepted that I could only ever charge it overnight given how long it used to take!

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good result. slight_smile
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 145053 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
Great service from Samsung slight_smile

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 10 of 10