Did you mean: 

S23 Ultra Screen failure

Nagasaki
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So the screen on my S23 Ultra died.

It had a white line across the top and flickered green and then the next die it would only show a slight bit of very dim green.

There are no cracks etc on the screen at all. There are two marks on the frame of the phone though, how I do not know as I have it in a case 😕

Anyway, O2 store has taken it in to send off for warranty repair but I have seen and heard some horror stories of display issues being refused under warranty.

Is this something I might end up encountering? The phone was not dropped when the screen started acting up, I was just sat at my desk using it and it went wacko on me.

I have phone insureance with a £50 excess so I have that as a back up option if needed.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144435 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Nagasaki 

The repair centre will either fix it or send you a quote to repair it depending on the outcome of their inspection.

At that point you can make a decision on how to proceed.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144435 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Nagasaki 

The repair centre will either fix it or send you a quote to repair it depending on the outcome of their inspection.

At that point you can make a decision on how to proceed.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Nagasaki
  • 22 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

And there it is. They refused warranty and want £272.50

why.  The screen has failed and there is no damage to the device. Was not dropped it just stopped working when using it 

typical 

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144435 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Nagasaki 

You could try Samsung directly but I fear they may say the same.

Looks like an insurance claim would be the best way forward.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

Nagasaki
  • 22 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Seem to be missing the point here a wee bit

if the device the device develops a fault through no fault of the user then it is covered by warranty.   By law. And o2 is failing to honour that warranty. 

a report to trading standards may be in order if they still fail to repair or replace my device

Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144435 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Nagasaki 

The issue you have is proving no fault.

The phone has internal accelerometers which determine if the device has been dropped or not.

If these show an issue the warranty repair would be refused, which is what I suspect and why Samsung would say the same. You are still free to try them for advice and inspection.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10197 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

Have to agree, if all the telematics, and sensors report that the damage is caused by a user, then they are not going to fix it. 

And Samsung are the ones who are very strict on what is covered under warranty, and the repair centre works to Samsungs rules. and it is the same place Samsung send there repairs to.

If you can prove via logs or other evidence you may have a case, and trading standards will tell you the same..

When not in use where do you keep the phone, pocket / bag and is even a small knock can affect the screen, and at the point its user damage. @Nagasaki 

You can always try any insurance you have to fix it for a lot cheaper..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 7