Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One number formatted incorrectly

Danni1608
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi. A few months ago my partner suddenly became unable to send a text to my phone, it says message failed to send, number formatted incorrectly. However the number hasn’t changed in the last 10 years & he is able to call me & send messages on WhatsApp, so can’t see why texts won’t send to my number suddenly, but they send as normal to all other contacts. I’ve tried speaking to O2 more than once & re-set all settings, deleted & re-entered my number, re-started the phone, checked all updates & message settings. They have no more suggestions & told me to post on here, so I’m hoping someone can help because the only posts I can find similar to this issue seem to affect all numbers & not just 1 number in the contacts list.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@Danni1608 

Have you tried a different message app?

Download Google Messages and try that.

If it still fails, it is an account issue so you need to go back to O2 and ask them to escalate the issue internally for you.

Edit to fix thread title

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 15

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Open your messaging app and message settings and check your blocked numbers

It's almost certain that you have accidently blocked his number in the message settings

These settings are different from call settings which will be why he is able to call you and send whatsapp messages to your number.

Message 3 of 15

Danni1608
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @MI5 I’ll get him to try this in the morning.
@jonsie I checked that originally when the issue first occurred a few months ago & again earlier this afternoon. I have 3 blocked number me in my messages, but none of them are his number, or numbers that I blocked within the last few months. Wish it had been that so it was easy to resolve.

Message 4 of 15

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

I assume you have checked the same blocked numbers list on his phone too @Danni1608 ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 15

Danni1608
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 I asked him this morning if he could check, but he’s worse with technology than me & I struggled to give him instructions on what to go into to check as he has a Huawei & I have had an iPhone for years m. I’ll have a look in the morning before work to see if I can find anything that he couldn’t.

Message 6 of 15

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
Best of luck and hope it's sorted soon.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 15

Danni1608
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie that was my assumption too, but he’s able to receive texts from me, just can’t send them. I’ll look in the morning & see what his shows.

Message 9 of 15

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions