cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mislead over 4G promise after buying an S3.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone, 

I am posting this because I am utterly disgusted at O2 currently due to them misleading me after an upgrade on a phone. I have tried to sort this through legitimate chanels, unfortunately, it just seems that each person I speak to is only willing to pass the buck. Of course I do not want to waste anyones time nor do I expect you to read the following conversation, just would like a record of my issue on the official forums for the mean time. Kind regards.

info:
Welcome to O2. A Guru will be with you soon.

info:
You're through to Guru Billy.

Billy:
Hi I'm Billy. How can I help?

dean loughlin:
Hey, I have an issue with o2 in regards to upgrades and not sure where to direct it

Billy:
I'll be happy to help you.

Billy:
You wish to upgrade your contract ?

dean loughlin:
Basically I upgraded in november-ish, based on advice over the phone from the upgrade department and was told that at around easter time, if I upgraded now, I would be eligible to upgrade to a 4g compliant phone at a discount price

Billy:
I'll check this for you, Can we do security first?

dean loughlin:
So i bought the samsung s3, I spoke to the people in glasgow car phone warehouse who said I would also be eligible for the 4g promise, I waited patiently, and of course, it is just for iphone users

dean loughlin:
yes

Billy:
Please can you tell me the 1st and 4th character of your security answer?

dean loughlin:
if it is numerical it is *,*

dean loughlin:
if it is a word, it is *,*

Billy:
Thanks.

Billy:
You want to know if you can use 4g on your phone ?

dean loughlin:
No

dean loughlin:
I was told that if I upgraded in november to the Samsung S3

dean loughlin:
I would be eligible for the O2 Promise to early upgrade when you have 4G enabled

Billy:
Let me check this for you.

dean loughlin:
I was told that at TWO different sources and of course now that I want to, I am told it was only for iPhone 5 customers. I feel this is completely unacceptable and I have been mislead

Billy:
I understand, Please give me few minutes while I check this details on your account.

dean loughlin:
Sure

Billy:
I'm sorry but the 4G promise is only applicable for iPhone customers.

dean loughlin:
Yes but that does not change the fact I was told, on the phone, by an O2 representative, that I was eligible

dean loughlin:
okay, right, obviously I will just take this to the financial ombudsman.

dean loughlin:
And cancel any payments to O2 from now on

Billy:
I see that the contract was upgraded via CPW and would request you to check this with them.

dean loughlin:
CPW means nothing to me and you seem like a nice guy, but I am not going to accept being passed around in circles on this issue, I actually did work for O2 recently in a contractual role and I know what it is like to be in your position. But regardless, I won't be contacting anyone else but the right legal chanels

dean loughlin:
CPW? Carphone warehouse, it was O2 that told me originally that I was eligible, the buck won't be passed on this issue

Billy:
I appreciate your understanding.

Billy:
There is nothing that I can do as the 4G promise is only applicable on iPhone 5.

dean loughlin:
Then could you please put me through to someone with the authority to resolve this? I spoke to several people instore and on the phone

Billy:
I am sorry but there is nothing that we can do as the policy only applies to iPhone 5.

dean loughlin:
I appreciate it is not within your realm to sort this, but none the less, your company did promise this, so please escalate my issue and I can argue it

Billy:
This is clearly stated on our website.

dean loughlin:
It was NOT when I signed up in November and it was clearly VOICED over the phone to me that I was eligible

Billy:
In that case I would recommend that you speak to customer services about this.

Billy:
I appreciate your time.

Billy:
I'm sure you will understand my limitations.

dean loughlin:
Yes, but then you can put me through and of course I do understand them

Billy:
Thanks.

Billy:
We are based online and you will have to call us via 202.

dean loughlin:
But it is not up to me to chase around, possibly not up to you to do so yourself, I am asking for this to be escalated, nothing more. Make it someone elses problem and if I am indeed not entitled, then of course I will back down

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
Legally you will be stuffed as O2 will just pass your debt onto an agency and your credit rating will take a hit. Try the complaints process.... It's your only hope http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),C...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
Unless you have it in writing you're kinda stuffed. It will come down to your word against their's....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is the problem though, I don't have it in writing, I was told something on the phone and I genuinely don't think it should be up to me to prove it. I feel like cancelling all debits from O2, but I do not know where that will leave me legally.

Message 3 of 20

MI5
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
Legally you will be stuffed as O2 will just pass your debt onto an agency and your credit rating will take a hit. Try the complaints process.... It's your only hope http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),C...

Currently using:
Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is not even like I got a better deal with the S3, or had any reason to go for that over the iPhone 5, I just figured, I had iPhones for 4 years and loved them, I only went this route because I was told I could change, untrained staff should not be at the expense of the consumer. Have been running around in circiles with this recently and there is only one conclusion I can draw, O2 do not care about customers.

Message 5 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I appreciate  the help and the link, I will give it a little longer and see if I get any official responses before using your link.

Message 6 of 20

MI5
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
It appears that the staff member told you what you wanted to hear to get the sale, which is totally wrong, but from O2's point of view they have never announced a 4G promise for every customer so they can't just go giving new phones away to everyone....

Currently using:
Message 7 of 20

MI5
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I will give it a little longer and see if I get any official responses before using your link.

You'll get no official response on here - we're all just customers the same as you....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeh I do appreciate that, been a customer for so long that I do expect them to realise though that after a run of zero issues, or complaints, despite them being plentiful, that if I do argue something on an expensive contract, maybe I should get at least a managerial response. 😞 Am sick of being told that various companies are "recording" your calls, yet when you want to rely on it as some evidence, it ceases to exist.

Message 9 of 20

MI5
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
If you were told on the phone then request that the call is played back and reviewed...

Currently using:
Message 10 of 20