cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC one water damage - data retrieval?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an HTC one (S) Yesterday I dropped it, yes... into the toilet bowl (clean water!!).

I don't care much about saving the phone at this point as I can upgrade but I have lots of pictures/videos (some from my wedding) on my phones internal memory - this phone doesn't have removable memory card.

I immediately dried the phone in a towel and then put into a bowl of dried rice - i didnt know what else to do at this point.. It began vibrating randomly but nothing was on the screen. It stopped doing anything now and there are no lights or response to the power button

The phone isn't turning on or charging. Is there any way at all to access my data? I can retrieve contacts from my SIM but I am more worried about the data on the phone.

Thank you anyone for your help Help

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 123270 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Welcome to the forum. What a nightmare for you.:smileysad:

If nothing works as previously suggested you may want to give HTC a call http://www.htc.com/uk/support/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

If you cannot get it to turn on I think the chances of data retrieval may have gone apart from leaving it longer in the rice to dry out and try again to charge in a day or so.

The top tip is to turn the phone off it sound like it was still switched on during the drying process.

See if it will charge in a day or so. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 123270 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Welcome to the forum. What a nightmare for you.:smileysad:

If nothing works as previously suggested you may want to give HTC a call http://www.htc.com/uk/support/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23177 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

Sorry to hear of your plight @Anonymous. It comes down to the old adage of 'always back up'. Not much help to you now, I guess.Smiley Frustrated

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 15

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Worst thing you can do with a phone/tablet/laptop is to leave it powered on after a liquid spillage. It needs to be dried out gently over a couple of days before any attempt to power on.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 5 of 15

MI5
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
Leave it in the rice and somewhere quite warm for at least a week - and pray wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 15

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Leave it in the rice and somewhere quite warm for at least a week - and pray wink

Won't work as they've already fired it up and/or left it on in a wet condition  =  FUBAR'd it.

Message 7 of 15

MI5
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
That's why I added the prayers.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 15

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

No point praying for the impossible 

Message 9 of 15

MI5
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
Nothing is impossible....

Currently using:
Message 10 of 15