Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating eSim on Samsung Watch

Barugon
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I succumbed to the temptation of the Samsung 6 Watch offer and decided to go for the 4g model, with an eSim. This eSim has, obviously, given me a 2nd phone number which is associated with my watch, not my phone (which also has an eSim). 

Before my watch arrived, I had an email telling me the eSim was activated. However, the watch has no mobile network signal. MyO2 states that I have an eSim to install but, on scanning the barcode, I get a message telling me that the eSim is already active. 

Trying request an new eSim causes a 404 error.

Am I missing something obvious? Can anyone advise me on the best course of action? My nearest O2 store is too far for me to pop into, as I don't drive, so that's not really an option.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Barugon 

Unfortunately a store visit could well be needed.

See guide Guide: Connecting your Samsung Smartwatch 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Boris123
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No just dealing with a bunch of total incompetents which O2 are?

Never changed in the last 3 years

Message 3 of 9

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5684 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Boris123 

Noted, thank you. 

Message 4 of 9

cjrmail2k
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for this advice, I managed to get my O2 eSIM activated on my Samsung watch 6 yesterday. I received a couple of text messages on the watch but if I call it the call goes straight to VM and if I try to call from the watch I get 'only emergency calls can be made' on the watch...so close!

Message 5 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10180 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@cjrmail2k 

Have a look at this, as your watch needs to be connected to your phone either via WiFi or Data

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00061408/

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 9

cjrmail2k
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh mine is the LTE version so should not require connection to the phone at all

For clarity, the eSIM on my watch has no relation to my phone. y phone is on vodafone business contract. Hence why I got an O2 eSIM for the watch. I can receive text to the watch (directly) but not make or receive calls.

Message 7 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10180 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@cjrmail2k 

That is not how it works on o2 (or Voda for the matter), the only way it works is to be connected to the phone and linked ... 

And is exactly how my watch 6 LTE on o2 works 

All the details are here:

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/samsung-watches

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 9

cjrmail2k
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

ok thanks, it seems that what I need to do is put a SIM into an old phone and just leave it plugged in powered on somewhere. From what you provided it says the phone doesn't need to be with me at the time...bit of a pain. But at least DATA works so I can use whatsapp...

Appreciate the help, wish we could fully untether ourselves from the bloody phone entirely...

Message 9 of 9