cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will O2 unlock bootloaders ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. I've got a Sony Xperia Z2 which just asks for a different rom (the one from O2 is full of bloatware and ther unnecessary stuff). I talked to live chat support and asked them about the bootloader and I have been told that unlocking my phone using the code which should arrive within 7 days after filling in the form, will also allow me to unlock the bootloader. They guy even said he preffers Cyanogen Mod (which could be a marketing lie). I have seen a lot of people saying that O2 does not unlock bootloaders, and if that is true I will never get a phone from O2 again. Android is supposed to be opensource. I also own the phone which means they have no right to restrict the features of my device. I do not care about the whole warranty thing, I just want to have a unlocked bootloader. So, I would like to hear from an official...

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
I didn't pursue it any further so I've no idea.
I don't agree with O2's policy at all but in theory they are the only ones who hold the info to unlock it.
There may be other ways if you have a Google around but XDA is the best place to look.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been to see guru a few days ago. Je said that he has been using custom roms too but he could not help me at that time and advised to call call centre as they may have a chance in helping me out. I have spoken with quite a few people there and even though the guy I spoke last to knew exactly what I am talking about he was unable to help me neither were other people on he department. He has advised that the only way from them onward would be complaints department and to email them as. Hey would have to help out he thinks.
Message 12 of 37

jonsie
  • 93246 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

It's worth a try but I doubt they will help you if it's O2 policy. Nothing to lose though.

Message 13 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
What drives me nuts is that no one mentioned to me that I will not have an option to work worth hone when I have purchased it. This is also not mentioned in any of the paperwork I got. If I knew I would not buy this one. Drives me nuts being so limited. I hope someone finds solution to this. But I will try my best to sort this out too. I want a CM
Message 14 of 37

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Bottom line is, no, it will never be unlocked. It is hard sealed at the Sony initial firmware and bootloader install by Sony at the request of o2.
Message 15 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Complaint has been sent higher I think. It is getting escalated, so not giving up yet.

Message 16 of 37

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
I admire your tenacity wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I was all pumped up that I will get somewhere. What O2 told me is that they would not do it (I know you guys told me that before) and I am stuck with my Xperia Z2 with locked bootloader forever. My only hope is that someone on XDA wil break this, altho given that this device is not as popular as Samsung ones I see very small chance of this happening. 

One can hope and ride on stuff that is given to him/her.

Message 18 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately I'ver been through this before.

Never Never Never again will I buy branded phones.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Bootloader-Unlocking-Xperia-S-Legal-Im...

Message 19 of 37

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
It sucks for those who want custom fw and really let Xperias fly, but it's worth pointing out that even with a locked bootloader, the handsets can be flashed with any official rom so debranding is still possible to remove bloat and nasty a$$ boot animations.
Message 20 of 37