I have a friend in the USA who cannot connect
with me either by text or phone call. I can text
her successfully but she can't get through to
me. She has spoken to Verizon (her ISP) who
say the fault is at this end. 

I have consulted O2 who say my phone is fine

and the fault must be at her end. So I'm going

round in circles. 

I'd be grateful for any ideas or suggestions.

Regards,

David

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23145 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

The code from the US to the UK is +44 or 01144, leaving off the first zero of the UK number. From the UK to the US it's +1 or 001, area code, number

Frankly, you'd both be better off using VOIP over WiFi to keep in touch, i.e. Skype or Facetime if you have an iPhone.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123092 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi

Is your friend putting the + sign followed by the country code and local number (yours) If she is not doing this then this is the main reason she wont be able to connect to you.

Are you able to call and text her?

Edit: we have a member who is currently in Thailand @jonsie I am not sure if he has any other advice to offer. He certainly has no problem staying in contact with friends and family?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 14

MI5
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions
Unless you have blocked their number on your phone there is nothing to stop you receiving their calls or texts at your end, so it must be a sending issue.
Does your friend have international enabled on their account, do they have sufficient credit or account permissions to send chargeable international calls etc.
Also get them to try different number formats such as 0044 as well as +44 and they need to drop the first 0 of your phone number.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 14

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

if you sure using the correct country code +1 and the area code I would say the problem lies with Verizon. You are stuck between them both unfortunately with both blaming each other. Check the dialling codes here...

http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/search/international/record.publisha?id=L233

Are you replying to texts or entering the number as a separate message?

Message 4 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23145 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

The code from the US to the UK is +44 or 01144, leaving off the first zero of the UK number. From the UK to the US it's +1 or 001, area code, number

Frankly, you'd both be better off using VOIP over WiFi to keep in touch, i.e. Skype or Facetime if you have an iPhone.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 14

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

As texts seem to be working one way it seems to me to be a Verizon issue but you are right @Bambino there are so many ways to connect free these days. 

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everybody for those helpful ideas. I think I'll get her to vary the

number formats to see if that does the trick.

I don't know if it makes any difference but I'm using a Samsung S5 at 

this end and in the US she is using an iphone.

David

Message 7 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 123092 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Tell her to change to a superior Samsung @Anonymous Only joking  LOL

Good idea to get her to try all the combinations you have been given. It certainly wont be your phone at fault if you are able to contact her...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions
Check your blocked numbers list too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I suggest you install an app such as WhatsApp.

It uses your data connection so it will cost you nothing to send messages on Wifi but when you are out and about it will use a small amount of data per message sent and received.

I have used WhatsApp in the past to speak with people all over the world and it is a fantastic alternative.

Message 10 of 14