Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Try The Tech: Samsung Galaxy Note Review

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I was recently given the opportunity to try out the Samsung Galaxy Note (sorry I cannot remember the model of it - maybe @Toby knows). 

I haven't used a Samsung/Android product for a while so it was like a new experience.  Here is my review - from a novice point of view........

Well I got the phone out of the box. It looked very stylish. The one thing I liked as soon as I saw the phone was the back of it- it's like a leather effect. The only downside was the size of it. I was imagining making a call and having that giant phone next to my ear. I wouldn't say it's ideal for calling but it looks good to text and browse the internet.
I wouldn't say I'm an expert at phones but I'm not a novice either.  However I felt a bit stupid as it took me a while to take the back off the phone to put my sim in it.
I can usually do simple things. Maybe I had a blonde moment I don't know, but I couldn't find a distinct button to turn the phone on. 
Once I finally had the phone turned on I then had the task of trying to navigate through it. I haven't used a Samsung phone for a few months but I struggled to use it.   I had difficulty moving between pages and multitasking.  I had to ask one of my friends (who has an older Galaxy Note model) to help me with the basics.

The speed of the phone was good (once I was shown how to use it properly LOL).

I used it with a new O2 sim and the signal was very strong - full bars.  There didn't seem to be any interference (I have some interference with my iPhone Smiley Mad ).

The colour contrast and the camera pixels are excellent. 

Overall I would give this phone 7 out of 10

24 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for sharing your thoughts @gemz4the1 

I assume its the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (N9005)

Do you think with more time you could get used to the Note ?

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I am not sure.

I have been used to Apple products for so long now.  It took me a while to get used to the iPhone 3G and I have just built my knowledge with every new model that comes out.

Maybe if I got more of a one-to-one tutorial on the phone I would understand it better.

There are some things I liked about the Note that I prefer that rather than on the iPhone, such as the signal, battery life, camera and colour.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A good learning curve and experience.

Mexican Wave

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

If you are used to the simplicities of the iphone then android does take a while to get used to again. I love the size of the Note and whilst I once thought the S3 was large compared to my iphone, the Note is now the benchmark of what I look for in a new phone.

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I don't like tiny phones but I don't like giant phones.

Personally, for me, this phone was too big.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A matter of preference and choice.

Be a stale sector if we all liked the same.

Bouncy

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

The Note 3 will be my next phone.

As someone slightly older I will love the fact its larger......

Biggest plus for me will be that its Android. (I am not interested in changing)

Add to that, I wont feel the need to struggle with anything. I am sure the expertise to be found on here will see me through any challenge

(Its good to be a dumbo at some things) LOL

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

The size is a definite plus for me with my diminishing eyesight and stumpy fingers! My daughter in law has the iphone 5 and I find it difficult now to browse on it.

EDIT: not knocking the iphone at all. As said, everyone has their own preferences slight_smile

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

The size is a definite plus for me with my diminishing eyesight and stumpy fingers! My daughter in law has the iphone 5 and I find it difficult now to browse on it.

EDIT: not knocking the iphone at all. As said, everyone has their own preferences slight_smile

With rumours rife about Apple increasing the screen size this time round perhaps this will appease us iPhone owners who want a bigger screen.

What do you feel @gemz4the1 after using the Note. A bigger iPhone varient.

4.5" to 5" would be ideal for me especially after testing the Lumia 1020. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Note 3 is chuffin stupendous @Cleoriff

I am loving it loving it loving it 😃
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am loving it loving it loving it 😃

No really @Anonymous tell us how you really feel

Whistle

For someone who possibly hasn't got to grips wth this type of phablet before i'm not surprised @gemz4the1 found it big.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well if you ask BoB.

I am disgusted that o2 force this rubbish on me.
I am disgusted that I have to pay for it.
I am disgusted about its size, reliability and performance.

Is that enough,
Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I am loving it loving it loving it😃

I need no further recommendation LOL

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Well if you ask BoB.

I am disgusted that o2 force this rubbish on me.
I am disgusted that I have to pay for it.
I am disgusted about its size, reliability and performance.

Is that enough,

Are you talking about the Note 3 still as i am   Don't know

Anonymous
Not applicable
A mixture of o2 providing me with a Note 3 and also upgrading my local (to work) mast means me and o2 are friends again.

For the avoidance of doubt @Cleoriff and BoB I really am LOVING IT LOVING IT LOVING IT 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I've more or less decided to get the Note3 rather than await the Note 4Smiley LOL

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was teasing BoB. I have used many phones but I just adore this phone. It is big enough to watch tv on and to use as a phone. Great for texting. I just really really really love it.

Not sure I am getting my message across lol 👀👀
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I was teasing BoB. I have used many phones but I just adore this phone. It is big enough to watch tv on and to use as a phone. Great for texting. I just really really really love it.

Not sure I am getting my message across lol 👀👀

I think youre doing a good job.

Have you gone down on bended knee and popped the question yet    Hug

I knew you guys loved your androids but........  Jaw-dropping

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

I just love someone who 'doesn't hold back' @Anonymous LOL

If I was in any doubt (which I wasn't) ...you would have convinced me wink

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry BoB but I am not gonna have an affair with an iPhone. I am committed to my Android lol 😂
aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I love my Note 2 but need a BT headset for making calls wink

Though some of the use cases for it have now been taken over by the Nexus 7, at least at home.

Thought about the Note 3 but can't justify the update.

Good to hear your thoughts on it though @gemz4the1  Thanks!

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@aldawebI too am using the Note 2 and love it which is why I am in no rush to upgrade just yet. I have no problems making calls though I usually use headphones for Skype or watching TV on it.

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
With rumours rife about Apple increasing the screen size this time round perhaps this will appease us iPhone owners who want a bigger screen.

I would like the iPhone to be a bit bigger but mostly due to when I am on Safari, sometimes it's difficult to see things and zooming in or turning the phone to landscape view makes it a bit more difficult to navigate. 

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Gemz,

I just had a chance to read this. Lovely review slight_smile

I like the leather affect too.