cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is an "upgrade" NOT an upgrade?

Anonymous
Not applicable
...when it is O2 "Refresh". There was a time when O2 actually rewarded long-term loyal customers - seems this ethos has changed. Has anyone studied the costs in the "Refresh" packages and noticed that there is no reward to be had whatsoever? All O2 seem to be offering are full RRP SIM-free prices on their iPhones (in fact they are more expensive than SIM-free - compare with Apple's own store prices...) - you get he choice to pay the full SIM-free cost upfront or spread it over your 24mths in the form of a surcharge on top of your tariff charge - how generous! All O2 is offering is a method of spreading the cost of the extortionately high hardware prices. No discount. 21 years of being an O2 customer and for all intents and purposes I may as well have just signed up last week for what reward it gets me.
Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

O2 stopped rewarding long standing customers when they changed to a 'fair deal' policy as outlined here:

http://news.o2.co.uk/?press-release=o2-makes-fair-deal-pledge-to-customers

Loyalty means nothing these days and it pays to shop around. You can get a better deal by going to the independents such as CPW and still stay with O2. As ever, it pays to shop around and to ensure you get good coverage.

O2 refresh is unique to O2 and suits a lot of people who like to upgrade early. Personally I prefer to buy sim free so as not to be tied into a contract but not everyone has the disposable income to do the same.

It's just a shame that there are no incentives for long term customers anymore but that is the business strategy O2 have decided on. I don't agree with it but until the people who make these decisions have a rethink, we have to make our own choice as to whether we stay with O2 or look at the options that other networks offer.

Problem is that the grass isn't always greener...

Message 3 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
I too feel that O2 and other companies should reward loyal customers better but unfortunately it's a thing of the past O2 refresh it has been noted that sometimes the phone itself works out more expensive than you could buy sim free but not everyone has the money to buy outright so it suits most a lot of people are taking refresh now
Message 2 of 3

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

O2 stopped rewarding long standing customers when they changed to a 'fair deal' policy as outlined here:

http://news.o2.co.uk/?press-release=o2-makes-fair-deal-pledge-to-customers

Loyalty means nothing these days and it pays to shop around. You can get a better deal by going to the independents such as CPW and still stay with O2. As ever, it pays to shop around and to ensure you get good coverage.

O2 refresh is unique to O2 and suits a lot of people who like to upgrade early. Personally I prefer to buy sim free so as not to be tied into a contract but not everyone has the disposable income to do the same.

It's just a shame that there are no incentives for long term customers anymore but that is the business strategy O2 have decided on. I don't agree with it but until the people who make these decisions have a rethink, we have to make our own choice as to whether we stay with O2 or look at the options that other networks offer.

Problem is that the grass isn't always greener...

Message 3 of 3