Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Update from O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

27th February 2017 Update

Hi Everyone. This week we will be posting letters out to any customers who have not yet made arrangements with us to return their Samsung Note7 devices. If for any reason you misplace or do not receive it for whatever reason, here's a copy:

We’ll soon block the Note7 from our network. It’s important that you get in touch today and we’ll get you back on track with a new device.

We’ll make switching to a different device simple, and give you £100 off the upfront cost. Or, if you prefer, we’ll cancel your Airtime Plan. Either way, we’ll cancel and refund your Device Plan.

Is your Samsung Note7 insured with us? We’ll also cancel your policy and refund your premium.

Simply back up your Note7, turn it off and call our hotline 0344 809 0202 or 202 free from an O2 mobile. Need a hand backing it up? Chat to an O2 Guru online.

For more details, visit http://o2.uk/Note7Update.

If you’ve already called us, please ignore this letter.

30th January 2017 Update

Hello everyone,

Samsung have notified us of their plans to release a new mandatory software update that will limit Note 7 devices to a 0% charge, effectively eliminating its ability to function as a mobile device. This software update is expected to be pushed out tomorrow, 31st January, so if you are still using this device (which we don't recommend for your safety) please take any necessary steps to back up any important data while you can.

Why are you doing this?
To be transparent and clear, this is Samsung’s decision and is European-wide. This is a further step in Samsung looking to retrieve as many devices as possible so as to ensure customer safety.

I'm still using my Note 7 - what now?
Once your device downloads the mandatory update it will cease to charge. We understand the inconvenience this may cause and we want to make transitioning to another device as easy as possible. If you are affected by this, please contact us as soon as is convenient on 0344 809 0202. We will also be in touch in the coming days by email and letter with more details, including how to change to another device and return your Note 7 to us if not yet done so.

I've already returned my Note 7 - what does this mean to me?
If you've already returned your Note 7 to us, there's nothing further you need to do. If you're in this position, we anticipate you'll already have switched to an alternative device. If this isn’t the case though, we’d recommend you speak to us as soon as you’re able to on 0344 809 0202.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 1,893
1,892 REPLIES 1,892

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Oh shucks and thankfully I didn't purchase on release day here.  The phone has been withdrawn from Samsung stores here but still available from the likes of Tuk Com and others. 

Message 2 of 1,893

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for the update. One good thing ...Samsung aren't hiding behind excuses (Or denying a problem exists).

As discussed here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-topic/Galaxy-Note-7-Charger-Problems/m-p/994959#U994959

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, i have my note 7 on pre-order however my order status is still saying "in progress". Does this mean i will still be receiving my phone within the week time frame stated or will i now not receive it?

Message 4 of 1,893

MI5
  • 143437 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

No, you won't be getting it within a week.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm assuming we'll be offered a full refund if a replacement or temporary device isn't available in a timely manner? If a refund is the only option, what will we have to do with the bundled Gear VR?
Message 6 of 1,893

MI5
  • 143437 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You will have the option to wait or cancel, that's entirely your choice.
We will have to wait for o2 to tell us how they are going to deal with the VR's though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yet according to o2 customer service last night i should be getting my note 7 within a few days..... porky pies maybe?
Message 8 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have my Note 7 - pre-ordered and picked up on Tuesday - and am loving it. Guess I should get it replaced to be on the safe side, but I hope that I can swap one for the other and not be without either... Swap out at an O2 store?

Am taking minor precautions - was only using the Samsung charger anyway, but not charging unattended or overnight. But so far it isn't showing any signs of excessive warmth - my old Note 4 used to run hotter... Fingers crossed!
Message 9 of 1,893

MI5
  • 143437 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

There are no replacement phones available as yet.

If you choose to keep using your phone just be very careful. but the Samsung advice is to not do so until they understand the serial numbers affected by the issue.
@Anonymous Samsung have recalled all UK stock so unless yours was already with the courier I guess it won't be coming to you next week.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 1,893