Community Spotlight: Welshsteve76

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Spotlight banner welshsteve76.png

Hey everyone,

It's Friday and what better way to see in the weekend then a community spotlight! This time around the spotlight is on @welshsteve76! Welshsteve76 joined the community back in 2012 and he's kindly agreed to answer a few questions for the spotlight. 

Check out his answers below and feel free to ask any follow up queries you may have! cool

What’s your name and where are you from?

Steve. Originally from South Wales (about 17 miles west of Swansea).  Moved to Cheltenham (uni) before moving to Leamington Spa nearly 20 years ago now.

Why did you join and stay in the O2 Community?

Initially joined back in 2012 to find out why I had no mobile signal at the time. Took a look around the forums and decided to get involved in other discussions. I sporadically used it on and off since, before becoming more regular in recent years. Unlike many other forum boards around the Internet, where the regulars and admins can be, shall we say "abrasive", and unhelpful, the O2 community regulars and admins are very helpful and friendly, and instead criticising somebody's post for not being in the "correct format", they go out of their way to assist.

What was your first mobile phone and which phone do you currently have?

Nokia 5110 (the one you could replace the fascias and buttons). I currently have a Huawei P20 Pro.

If you were CEO of O2 for a day, what would you do?

Allow free upgrades for anyone with a Huawei device plan rofl

Seriously though, the huge drop off in customer service in recent years needs addressing (it was the very best of all industries until a few years ago in my opinion). It's still better than EE & Vodafone though. The customise your plan isn't flexible enough (you should be able to select data packages 1GB at a time). But one thing I think would really help customers is to make O2 recycle clearer and fairer. If you have a device plan and wish to trade in, there should be a minimum payment amount you get which equates to premiums paid.

Favourite movie/TV show/actor?

Movie = Back To The Future or The Shawshank Redemption

TV Show = Quantum Leap (all time), Supernatural or Lucifer are my favourite current TV shows.

Actor = David Tennant

How do you take your tea/coffee?

Tea = Strong, no sugar, drop of milk

Coffee = Strong, sometimes half a brown sugar, shake the milk so it froths up.

Do you have any pets?

No. I do get a robin coming down to my back door regularly every day asking for food though yahoo (some of you may have seen the pictures I have posted on the community).

Which future development in tech are you looking forward to?

Quantum Computing becoming the norm.

If you could have a conversation with any famous person, dead or alive who would it be and why?

Brian Cox (scientist). He just makes difficult things sound so simple.

What's your dream house like and where would it be located (if you could choose anything!)?

I'm not really into huge with 10 bedrooms etc. As long as it was reasonable roomy with a couple of guest rooms (3 or 4 bedrooms in total). I'm more about outside space. That would do me. It would have to be detached without any noisy neighbours yahoo and far from a busy road. However ( yahoo ), I'd love it to have a cinema room, games room (snooker, pool, games consoles), swimming pool and a small gym (rowing machine, exercise bike), tennis court, nice garden with flower beds etc. I wouldn't want it to be in the UK though. Probably Lanzarote.

Any hobbies besides the Community?

Music is a big love of mine, and I listen to and collect a lot of music, as well as going to gigs whenever I can (it's expensive these days). I can also play guitar, although I don't get it out that often these days (I used to play in bands). I like to play snooker, and used to run the local snooker league and was a team captain for over 10 years. Although since I stopped playing in a team I don't play much anymore.

Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself Steve! cool Much appreciated! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Good spotlight @welshsteve76 and nice to know a little more about you.
Wonder where the username came from....

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 22

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
Good spotlight @welshsteve76 and nice to know a little more about you.
Wonder where the username came from....

LOL

Thanks

Steve
Message 3 of 22

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @welshsteve76 

I know of your love of music. Favourite band Altar Bridge?

Thanks for introducing me to them. They are a great band. wink

You say you used to play in bands. What type of music did you play?

If I had to guess I would say Heavy Metal......??

Great spotlight by the way. thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 22

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Excellent spotlight @welshsteve76 and good to learn a bit more about you.

Interesting to see you like Lucifer and Supernatural, favourites of mine as it happens. And The Shawshank Redemption, along with A Few Good Men, is probably my favourite film of all; particularly love the ending.

You mentioned Lanzarote as a place to live. Is there anywhere else in the world you'd like to call home, if you were given the opportunity?

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 5 of 22

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Cleoriff- Alter Bridge and Metallica are probably my joint favourite bands. I love them both. And you're welcome yahoo

I played rock music, not heavy metal.  Stuff like like Stone Roses, Oasis, The Who, Primal Scream, Stereophonics etc.  I wrote my own music as well, which ranged from acoustic ballads to punk yahoo

@Glory1- yeah I love Lanzarote.  I've always wanted to visit Canada and New Zealand, which are interestingly two countries where the company I work for has offices, so you never know, I may get to visit them someday smiley

The reason I picked Lanzarote is because its warm all year round, the people are nice and I've loved my holidays there.  The crime rate is virtually zero too. Everyone is just happy smiley

Thanks

Steve
Message 6 of 22

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Lanzarote sounds absolutely ideal @welshsteve76. If I was a lot younger than I am, I would love to visit. It's supposed to be beautiful there too.

Message 7 of 22

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

If you do go @Glory1  I would highly recommend taking a trip to the Timanfaya national park. It's an active volcano.  Incredible sights!  At the top they cook chicken on large skewers over a well in the ground it's that hot fire

Thanks

Steve
Message 8 of 22

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Great spotlight @welshsteve76 smiling

Your ideal home sounds exactly like the one I would have if possible although I coud downsize and do without the tennis court. On the other hand I could replace that with a nine hole golf course LOL

Ideally though in Thailand not Lanzarote Good Idea

Message 9 of 22

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@welshsteve76 wrote:

If you do go @Glory1  I would highly recommend taking a trip to the Timanfaya national park. It's an active volcano.  Incredible sights!  At the top they cook chicken on large skewers over a well in the ground it's that hot fire

That is making me very hungry and sounds fantastic @welshsteve76 

Message 10 of 22