cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volt benefits on O2 after leaving Virgin?

bobblue
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’m currently with O2 & Virgin Media but haven’t yet signed up for Volt, although My O2 confirms I am eligible.

I understand from O2’s Volt FAQ that if I were to sign up to Volt and subsequently leave Virgin, I would still keep the double data bonus on my O2 tariff. Would this also be the case for the Travel Inclusive Zone bolt on, or would that be lost?

I assume (hope) it would also be kept, but haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere so could anyone confirm please?

My current O2 contract includes the Travel Inclusive Zone, but am considering switching to a cheaper tariff without it, then adding Volt. Just want to make sure my plan will enable me to get/keep the Travel Inclusive Zone bolt on and not lose it if I decide to cancel Virgin in the future.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@bobblue wrote:

The O2 Volt FAQ confirms that if one leaves Virgin Media, the Virgin Volt benefits are clearly lost but the increased O2 data allowance is retained (as shown below). It just doesn't state what happens to the Travel Inclusive Zone Volt benefit. Perhaps that wasn't an included Volt benefit when the FAQ was originally written?

If you have Volt benefits and then leave VM, your O2 account will remain 'as is' (double data and O2 Travel Inclusive) until you upgrade or change tariffs. Similarly if you left O2, your VM account will remain 'as is' unless you change your package.

Hope that helps slight_smile

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Answers in here, @bobblue - Volt Megaguide 

As I understand it, your Volt benefits remain active so long as you remain both a customer of O2 and a customer of VirginMedia broadband.

It even says in the megaguide that if you upgrade either service when the current term ends, you may expect to lose your Volt benefits for up to 14 days afterwards.

Screenshot_20220618-072940.png

That said, I recently renewed my VM for another 18month term, at a saving of almost £8 over my previous monthly cost, and neither O2 nor VM service dropped back to the pre-Volt levels so far - I suspect had I adjusted some aspect of my contract, say line speed, or landline call bundle, for example, it is possible I would have dropped back and had to wait 14 days for the Volt benefits to be reapplied.

My O2 contract finishes in December, we'll see what happens then, I guess 🤐

Don't assume your benefits will remain if you leave one or the other, @bobblue. Good luck.

Message 2 of 8

bobblue
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the response @pgn, however that's not quite the answer to the question I'm asking. I understand that if you change/upgrade either contract the Volt benefits temporarily drop off.

When it comes to leaving a service provider rather than changing/upgrading contracts, I believe it is treated differently. The O2 Volt FAQ confirms that if one leaves Virgin Media, the Virgin Volt benefits are clearly lost but the increased O2 data allowance is retained (as shown below). It just doesn't state what happens to the Travel Inclusive Zone Volt benefit. Perhaps that wasn't an included Volt benefit when the FAQ was originally written?

Leaving_Virgin_or_O2.jpg

Message 3 of 8

pgn
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Good spot, @bobblue - and as the Community Megaguide postdates the FAQ, I think it is unclear (VM also offer hub wireless extenders as a Volt benefit - do you get charged for those if you retain your VM service but switch away from VMO2 for mobile service? Or have to return the devices to VM?)

It is all a bit vague, tbh.

@Chris_K has given a lot of the advice on Volt so far, so I shall tag him and the Forum managers @Martin-O2, @lewys-gp and @RafaC into the discussion - not that I expect an answer until next week.

Let's see 👍

Message 4 of 8

bobblue
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The vagueness is actually one of the reasons I haven't signed up for Volt since it was launched - I like to fully understand what I'm getting into before signing on the dotted line, anticipating future possibilities. slight_smile

Thanks for tagging others into the discussion, look forward to hearing more knowledgable views & opinions than my own...

Message 5 of 8

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@bobblue wrote:

The O2 Volt FAQ confirms that if one leaves Virgin Media, the Virgin Volt benefits are clearly lost but the increased O2 data allowance is retained (as shown below). It just doesn't state what happens to the Travel Inclusive Zone Volt benefit. Perhaps that wasn't an included Volt benefit when the FAQ was originally written?

If you have Volt benefits and then leave VM, your O2 account will remain 'as is' (double data and O2 Travel Inclusive) until you upgrade or change tariffs. Similarly if you left O2, your VM account will remain 'as is' unless you change your package.

Hope that helps slight_smile

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 6 of 8

pgn
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

That makes sense, @Chris_K - and as for the VM WiFi extender pods, one presumes the cost of £5/month starts to appear after renewal per POD, or pods are deactivated. (I surmise).

Message 7 of 8

bobblue
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for confirming, @Chris_K - that’s just what I hoped would be the case and what I wanted to hear! Much appreciated slight_smile

Message 8 of 8