Rouge payments

Rd77
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,
Community please help!!

In November 2023, I discovered an unauthorized charge on my account from O2. After approximately 35 hours of phone calls and visits to two different O2 stores, I've gathered some information but haven't found anyone able to assist me. This situation has been extremely distressing.

I learned that Virgin Media had added a SIM card to my Volt account without my knowledge, which I had been paying £7.38 for about two years. This account was then transferred to O2 in June 2023. I never used either the Virgin or O2 SIM cards.

Upon discovering this, I've been trying to cancel the SIM card for the past four months. I erroneously cancelled my direct debit with my bank, thinking it would suffice to cancel with O2, but that was a mistake.

I'm unable to access my account as I don't have the phone number linked to the SIM. When attempting to pass security checks, I fail because the email address doesn't match. However, I receive emails about owing money, but these don't pass security.

I've spent the equivalent of a full working week on the phone with O2 customer service, who have been unhelpful, rude, and even hung up on me. I seem to be stuck in a loop, getting no assistance. I was once escalated to a team that listened to my issue but then transferred me to another team and disconnected the call, which was very frustrating.

After an additional 7 hours in O2 stores, I found out that the email address associated with the account is a randomly generated one, created during the transfer from Virgin to O2 because my email was already linked to another account.

I'm now facing missed payment reports on my credit file and seem to have no way to resolve this issue.

The way support has treated me is unacceptable.

I am at a loss and would appreciate any advice from this community on how to resolve this situation.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10316 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3029 Solutions

@Rd77 

You will need to raise this with Virgin Media and make a complaint over misselling, as o2 cant see what was agreed and not agreed with them on the sales call. 

As unless you can prove that you didnt agree, and have evidence such as email and contracts from VM, then I am sorry to say they cant do anything about it.. 

Also the fact it has taken you 2 years to notice will go against you...  Also cancelling the sim, will probably require VM to reprice your contract as the 2 contracts are linked, an you may lose any Volt benefits...

Have a look at virginmedia.com and their own community, it may also need a SAR raising with them.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 8

Oxonian
Level 30: Meditator
  • 6640 Posts
  • 121 Topics
  • 22 Solutions
Message 3 of 8

Rd77
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @madasaf1sh i appreciate your reply.
I have tried contacting virgin media several times, same story they say you must contact 02 we cannot do anything for you.

02 in store have basically admitted responsibility for not being able to cancel it. However as no one in 02 has the correct permissions to access my account it's seemingly an impossible task.

Message 4 of 8

Rd77
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @Oxonian Thank you for providing these links these are very useful.

i will go down this route once I get this cancelled otherwise I guess this will be a reoccurring loop, I'm dreading any further correspondence with 02 to be honest, but needs must! 

Message 5 of 8

Oxonian
  • 6640 Posts
  • 121 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

You are welcome @Rd77 and good luck. 👍

Message 6 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145225 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions

I assume rogue ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 7 of 8

Oxonian
  • 6640 Posts
  • 121 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

I assume rogue ?

I don't know @MI5, but I assume that @Rd77 will keep us updated on developments. 👍 

Message 8 of 8