Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new payg monthly sim.what is the expected download speed

baz22
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

new payg monthly sim.what is the expected download speed.

i have a sim in a samsung s9 previously on ee.Ive tried the speed test and im getting 1mb/s.

is this correct please.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36016 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

Depends on a lot of things @baz22  - you'll get the best data rate that your local O2 mast, with all the other O2 customers that it supports, and any objects between you and and the mast permit. Here, this will help: Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

As PAYG cannot get 5G, you'll be getting 4G at best - speeds here: https://www.4g.co.uk/how-fast-is-4g/

Good luck.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

pgn
  • 36016 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

Depends on a lot of things @baz22  - you'll get the best data rate that your local O2 mast, with all the other O2 customers that it supports, and any objects between you and and the mast permit. Here, this will help: Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

As PAYG cannot get 5G, you'll be getting 4G at best - speeds here: https://www.4g.co.uk/how-fast-is-4g/

Good luck.

Message 2 of 6

baz22
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks for the reply PGN.

i have checked the network checker and thats fine...ive also checked my fone settings and they are correct....still currently 1mb/s...And i am a new to 02 and waiting for the pac details to swap over...I hope the speed improves or i may go back to EE.

Message 3 of 6

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

At home I frequently get around 2 Mbs Vodafone gives me 50 Mbs.

Interestingly here it is a shared Conerstone mast about 250 yards away. 

However Vodafone use 2100Mhz with 15 Mb bandwidth against O2 on 800 Mhz with 10 Mb bandwidth.

I report slow speeds on a weekly basis  but O2 seem to think things are fine.

As you are PAYG you are in a fortunate position if it's not suitable in your area.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 6

pgn
  • 36016 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

As a Pay Monthly Contract customer, this is what I am getting currently from my nearest mast, @baz22 - for ref.

Screenshot_20221112-182259.png

Message 5 of 6

baz22
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your reply....I think i will be going back to EE.

only swapped for the 100gb package...but no details about download speed...how can you use 100gb with 1 or 2mb/s....crazy.

Message 6 of 6