Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage and FaceTime activation issues

Evo_Lee
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi. Since porting to O2 I am unable to activate iMessage and FaceTime for my phone number. It worked up until the port was completed. 

I have switched both off and restarted the device then switched back on but I get activation failure messages when I select my phone number.  The number is registered on my Apple ID and phone. I have taken the sim out, signed out of my Apple ID, reset my network settings etc but to no avail. I have another O2 number and I can use that one ok, just not the one I ported.  

anyone got any advice? I have just asked for a replacement SIM card to try that. 

thanks

l

Message 1 of 271
270 REPLIES 270

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144186 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Evo_Lee 

You need to switch to a new blank sim as the embedded number is causing a conflict.

Follow this guide when your new sim arrives Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 271

Evo_Lee
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I’ve had a new sim activated and still no joy. Customer services at O2 have been less than useless and honestly struggling  to understand as the two I’ve spoken to didn’t speak very good English. 

Any other suggestions. Been 3 days now without imessages or FaceTime do getting a bit frustrated with this. 

thanks

Message 3 of 271

MI5
  • 144186 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Evo_Lee 

If you go to Settings >Phone >My Number you should be able to now edit and save your correct number.

Turn off iMessage and facetime then reboot phone before trying to activate them again.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 271

Evo_Lee
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. Tried all that. My phone number is in the format of +44. Is that correct or should it just be 07?

Message 5 of 271

MI5
  • 144186 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Evo_Lee 

Min is set to +44 so that should be OK.

Try resetting your network settings.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 271

Evo_Lee
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No joy with the network settings reset. 

spoken with Apple support. They tell me that when iMessage is activated, it silently sends an international sms. They are assuming that this is being blocked on the network. 

does this sound possible?

not really sure where to go from here as O2 customer service weren’t helpful. 

Message 7 of 271

MI5
  • 144186 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Evo_Lee 

Yes, the phone does send silent messages to activate iMessage and Facetime but there's no reason for them to be blocked as they are free to send. The only thing that we are aware of that may prevent sending in some circumstances is a zero spend cap.

If you haven't done so again already, I would sign out of iCloud and back in again.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 271

Evo_Lee
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 customer service say no bars or blocks in place. 

I have signed out of iCloud on that device and no joy. I’ve also setup a spare iPhone I have and get the exact same issues on that device so it must be something network related. It was working fine up until I moved network provider on Wednesday. 

Message 9 of 271

MI5
  • 144186 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Evo_Lee 

I would expect it to be an account setting or something not done correctly in the number port that's messing it up for you as all the usual fixes have failed so far.

I'll ask @O2Lisa to take a look for you but she won't be back on here until Monday morning.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 271