• 112 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145017 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27820 Solutions

@MDT 

WiFi is shutting down on LU and being replaced by mobile data coverage.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

tedbun
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Why do you say the WiFi is shutting down on LU, @MI5 ? All the publicity suggests that the station wifi and the station/tunnel 4G/5G will run in tandem. Surely that makes sense? At least until LU reach the promised 220 out of 272 with mobile coverage (currently only around 30 with 4G/5G compared to more than 260 with WiFi).

The wifi network was originally installed by Virgin Media. BAI signed a 20-year concession in 2021, which seems to cover both mobile and Wi-Fi services. Certainly BAI has since taken over the wifi network from VM. TfL's "Connected London" supposedly comprises public Wifi "supported" by the ever-expanding 4G/5G connectivity.

Three, EE, Vodafone and O2 all have their own SSID on the underground. VM pulled out last year, but their 'old' Virgin Mobile customers can connect through O2's WiFi Extra.

Certainly there are glitches with the wifi connectivity, but I do not get the impression that stations are being turned off or that the system is in managed decline.

Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145017 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27820 Solutions

The infrastructure is using wifi and fibre technology but customers will connect through 4g and eventually 5g @tedbun 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5