Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an O2 SIM in mobile broadband router

Graeme1205
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I live in a rural area and BT broadband was very poor so I opted for Three mobile broadband and router. The Three coverage seems to have changed and I had to look for an alternative. I opted for an O2 SIM (unlimited data and minutes) as I was told that this would work with mobile broadband. I use the SIM in my Three router (ZTE MF286D) and this can work for hours or days but then freezes (i.e. flashing blue data light goes solid and I lose connection until I switch off and on again). Not sure if this means a faulty router or if it's an incompatibility issue. Do I need to buy an 'unlocked' router and can anyone suggest one that is reasonably priced? I think ideally I need an ethernet port to link an extender to provide coverage throughout my home. Thank you.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144439 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Graeme1205 

O2 don't allow phone sims to be used in a router so you'll need a data only sim instead.

Best SIM Only Deals | Compare Pay Monthly SIM Contracts | O2

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

Graeme1205
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your reply. When I took out the contract they told me the SIM would work in a WiFi router so I may have to ask if they would agree to cancel my contract. Thanks again.

Message 3 of 14

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

You can use ordinary SIM cards in My Fi portable devices, but not fixed routers

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144439 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Graeme1205 

The rule applies to any wifi devices that need to be plugged in to receive power.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 14

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5770 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Graeme1205 

You asked :-

>> "Do I need to buy an 'unlocked' router and can anyone suggest one that is reasonably priced?"

The Zyxel NR5103e works well for me. CEX stock reconditioned units :-

https://uk.webuy.com/

But as @MI5 has said, your O2 'phone SIM won't work in that device. 

Message 6 of 14

CJW24
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I live in a pretty rural area with rubbish broadband. I’ve been using a Vodafone 5G Gigacube for the last three years but have recently put a Tesco (so O2 network) unlimited data sim in and it works fine. One neighbour has a small portable Vodafone device and runs that with Tesco unlimited data sim. Another neighbour has just bout a TP-Link router with sim slot from Argos and is also using a Tesco unlimited data sim. None of us have had any problems. 

Message 7 of 14

Enlli
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

@CJW24 Although Tesco run on O2 their terms and conditions may be different 

Experience on here with standard SIM in routers is that they may work for a while but once the system detects a usage pattern that suggests a router they are shut down and the customer will have to ring O2

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 8 of 14

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5770 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Enlli 

The T&Cs on Tesco Mobile are certainly very different to those of O2.

For example, 5G is available on PAYG SIMs on Tesco.    

Message 9 of 14

Enlli
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

@Oxonian wrote:

@Enlli 

The T&Cs on Tesco Mobile are certainly very different to those of O2.

For example, 5G is available on PAYG SIMs on Tesco.    

As it is on Giffgaff 

Message 10 of 14