Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a Nokia 1112

Miraglossum
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello all, Will a current O2 PAYG sim work in a Nokia 1112? Background: My partner has a Nokia 1112; he barely uses his mobile - a few texts and the occasional voice call so his £5 PAYG will last well over six months. He uses a Virgin mobile sim at present but they're updating their sims and it seems they won't work in this Nokia. Given his limited use, it seems a waste to buy even a cheap new phone. I've been with O2 for six years and am happy with them. Thanks in advance for advice. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23205 Posts
  • 1029 Topics
  • 3690 Solutions

@Miraglossum That model phone is 14 years old. It takes a mini sim. Provided O2 can supply one that's the right size, there's no reason why it shouldn't work, but it would be best to call into an O2 store to see if they can give you a sim that size.

sim card.jpg

Alternatively, it might be worthwhile looking at a more recent used phone from a store like CEX, or even a new phone on Amazon that takes a nano sim, which is the norm these days. Phones without all the bells and whistles are relatively inexpensive.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144980 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions

@Miraglossum 

I don't understand why a virgin sim would stop working? 
What reason did they give?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

Miraglossum
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you MI5, and Bambino. In answer to MI5: They told us the present sim will stop working soon and that they do not support the Nokia we have. It's a mystery to us, frankly! We have spent ages trying to get a response from them, without success, so have more or less given up on them. I like O2 so we think we might change my partner's phone to O2.

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144980 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
Sounds like a ploy to get you to upgrade to me.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

If you need to change network then O2 is not the one to change to for his type of usage

All O2 tariffs require you to top up every month

Tesco or giffgaff offer the tariffs he needs

Message 6 of 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12142 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1128 Solutions
My grandad has had a similar letter, and the instructions on it were next to useless (basically insert new sim card into phone and wait 10 minutes - once you receive a text the new sim is working).
Despite waiting about 15 minutes, I suspect the same - that the new sim does not work on the old phone (Nokia brick, but don't ask me the model number).

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 7