Did you mean: 

Unknown Caller Issue - Receiving Calls From Contacts

Kosmos5457
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 31 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello O2 Community,

I've been recently troubled by some issue where when I'm receiving phone calls from contacts listed in my iPhones contacts, instead of my iPhone stating their name, it says Unknown Caller. This is particularly unhelpful, especially if out in the car so using CarPlay, or even when taking a glance at my Apple Watch and seeing the same issue. 

This has only started happening since I migrated from my old iPhone XS to iPhone 14 Pro and in the past month or so is when I upgraded. At this point, as I was moving from an old 4G SIM to a new 5G SIM, I was requiring a SIM swap. 

I've not seen any other issues and have also spoken to Apple about this. I did mention that I hadn't yet followed up with network provider. 

The interesting thing is that this appears to be intermittent. It doesn't happen on every call. I don't know if it is happening in certain places but not others. I don't think I've seen the issue at home at all such as when I may be on O2 WiFi Calling for example. I may have seen it in areas I think, where I have 4G reception but again, not entirely certain of that. 

When I check phone call history on iPhone itself after an Unknown Caller issue, it displays also as Unknown Caller. This suggests to me that the issue is with something on the phone or the service.

I had wondered also if deleting or editing contact may help. It's just that it is intermittent, so now thinking it is more the service that is the issue with receiving calls, that not always the caller ID is being sent to me so I can identify who is calling me. 

I read some more last night into this issue. There have been suggestions of switching off 4G calling but I don't see option to do that. I understand o2 may have removed this option with carrier update and toggled this setting off but it does not display on my phone so I can confirm.

I spoke with o2 support yesterday and they said no issues with service for me. It wasn't looked into or investigated further. It was just said yeah all is fine. I would appreciate having someone on the end of the phone that can escalate if necessary and do some deeper checks with network. 

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

yas1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 16 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

ok thanks again Kosmos5457. I'll ask them to do that.

Message 21 of 28

yas1
  • 16 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Kosmos, even after they've added the CLI bolt on I'm still have the same issue. Don't know where to go from here?😢

Message 22 of 28

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

@yas1 

Check in My O2 under bolt ons. See if it's  been added.

CLI Bolt on.jpeg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 28

Kosmos5457
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 31 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Definitely check that it has been added on your MyO2 app, under the Bolt-ons part. I wouldn't just take their word for it in Customer Services. 

Also worth restarting your phone and allowing some time for this change to apply, if it has even been done. All I know is that this is what fixed the issue for me. 

Message 24 of 28

yas1
  • 16 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Kosmos,

Yes I have checked and it has been added on. I have asked to speak with their network engineers and they said that they will be in touch within 5 working days! ..I'll see what happens but at this rate I'm thing of moving to another provider.

Thanks for your help

Message 25 of 28

yas1
  • 16 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Cleoriff,

Yes I have checked and it has been added on. I have asked to speak with their network engineers and they said that they will be in touch within 5 working days! Maybe it needs a day or so to kick in?

Message 26 of 28

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

@yas1 

Have you rebooted your phone?

It often needs turning off and back on, to kick the CLI bolt on to work.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 28

yas1
  • 16 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Cleoriff,

Yes I did that and did a network reset but still no luck.

Thanks

Message 28 of 28