Did you mean: 

Unable to activate new phone

Jules_39
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I recently bought a mobile with an O2 sim from Mobilephonesdirect but they tell me they are now unable to activate it as there is a problem with the mast in the DA1 Dartford area.  This was over a week ago. I don't understand what the issue is and why my old phone with O2 sim still works despite there being a mast issue.

Is anyone able to shed any light please?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36041 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

WhatsApp has its own mechanism for backing up to Google drive - see section 2, Backing Up, here:

https://www.wideanglesoftware.com/blog/how-to-back-up-whatsapp-messages.php

Scroll down to the section shown below, does that help, @Jules_39?

1000017251.png

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

pgn
  • 36041 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

Does your old SIM fit in the new phone, @Jules_39?

If it does, you can at least get service back while you find out what is wrong with the activation of the new SIM you received in your new phone. (An O2 Shop can help you, but you will need photo ID with you). Good luck!

Message 2 of 9

Jules_39
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello pgn,

Thank you for replying.  Yes, my old o2 SIM fits in the new phone but i can't do a full data transfer so still having to use my old phone as well. Problem is that this regularly crashes hence the need for a new phone.  I have been pushed back and forth by o2 and MPD both blaming the other for lack of connection.  Apparently i have to wait for the connection to get a number on this new mobile. I've been told it's an IT issue transferring of contracts (whatever that means) and from what i read on this forum there is no end in sight for this being resolved.  Any advice you can give would be very much appreciated.  Thank you.

Message 3 of 9

pgn
  • 36041 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

@Jules_39:  Depending on the phone models and age of old phone, many of them let you sync up to Google or to Apple storage in the cloud, and then, so long as you have a WiFi connection, they sync back down to the new handset during initial setup.  Some others come with a cable-transfer system via an app, eg Pixel or Samsung.

As far as the MPD "IT issue", I have read it elsewhere that it comes down to O2's updated 360 systems not being made accessible to resellers like MPD or AffordableMobiles, making "upgrades" much more difficult if a new SIM is required. New contracts, with a new number, are easier - but still liable to miscommunication and delays.

You are just going to have to keep on at MPD - they have been fairly accommodating in my experience some years back, but as they went through a change sometime recently, with their trading name changing, it would not surprise me if dealings with O2 became more complicated in the current climate.

Message 4 of 9

Jules_39
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello pgn,

Thank you again for your helpful reply. My old phone is a Samsung S7, new phone is a Samsung A25. My main concern is losing my WhatsApp message history.  If i pop my old SIM into the new phone i have lost all of that.  Sorry, not at all techy! Would you be able to advise please?

Message 5 of 9

pgn
  • 36041 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

WhatsApp has its own mechanism for backing up to Google drive - see section 2, Backing Up, here:

https://www.wideanglesoftware.com/blog/how-to-back-up-whatsapp-messages.php

Scroll down to the section shown below, does that help, @Jules_39?

1000017251.png

Message 6 of 9

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5813 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Jules_39 

Can you download the "Samsung Smart Switch" app from the Play Store ? You will need it on both of your handsets. Provided that your old handset does not crash during the process, that app should enable you to copy your data, apps and settings from the old handset to the new handset.

To use it, you either physically link your handsets using a USB-C to USB-C lead, or you link them over your domestic Wi-Fi. This is the process that @pgn has already referred to ; but if both 'phones are Samsung, their app rather than the more generic "Smart Switch" app tends to work best. 👍    

Message 7 of 9

Jules_39
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

Thank you! Also @pgn   It was a mix of both above solutions but i've got there in the end somehow! Just need MPD/o2 to get their acts together with this new 'system' so that i'm not paying for 2 separate contracts (ironically both with o2).  Will keep on at MPD as suggested earlier.  Thanks for all your help.  Fantastic community!

Message 8 of 9

pgn
  • 36041 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

Thanks for the update, always welcome, @Jules_39 👍🏼

Message 9 of 9