cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone HACKED into my google play account and I need some advice please.

NikkiOShea
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Not sure if this is the right board but someone from a different country hacked into my google play account over a month ago, downloaded a game and spent £159.67. Google play won't help me neither will my bank. o2 have said the best they can do is offer me £100 off so I 'only' have to pay the £60. They've said they can't help me further as the t&c's state it isn't their responsibility.

But my point is they know my account was hacked and that this was not my fault. Secondly, they have a duty of care so why did they not put a stop to this unusual activity when someone was spending £1 here and there throughout the day. Surely their system should have picked up on this and realised this is unusual activity from a different country?? Like how do they expect me to be aware of this?

I'm stressing out because I cannot afford this! I am a student and my phone bill is only £10 a month because I can't afford anything more!!

I'm awaiting a phone call from the manager who is 'unable' to do anything further. I'm also going to be calling citizens advice. But please, i need some advice on what to do. Is there really nothing further they can do?

Message 1 of 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27625 Solutions

@NikkiOShea 

Legally it is your responsibility to secure your account. 

I think you've done well to get a £100 refund actually. 

Google are the ones who should be helping with this as O2 only pass on the charges received from vendors.

You can ask O2 to put a charge to mobile bar on your account to prevent further occurrences. 

Guide: Tips to avoid unexpected charges on your bill 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27625 Solutions

@NikkiOShea 

Legally it is your responsibility to secure your account. 

I think you've done well to get a £100 refund actually. 

Google are the ones who should be helping with this as O2 only pass on the charges received from vendors.

You can ask O2 to put a charge to mobile bar on your account to prevent further occurrences. 

Guide: Tips to avoid unexpected charges on your bill 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 2