Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim swap major failure

stay_or_go
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Dave-O2 i am really hoping you can help me here. I joined O2 from Vodafone and requested a sim swap on or around 10th January and am still waiting for something to click in to gear. Several members of staff over the phone have continued to fail to help and raise it to a “back end” team who deal with the porting and each time I’ve contacted im told someone will contact me (by email) but have not had any response. I can make outbound calls and the number I transferred is appearing as the number on the receiving phone - happy days. However, I cannot receive any calls or text messages on the same number and it continues to go to Vodafone voicemail. The number which came with the o2 SIM card also doesn’t come through as it is most likely binned off already so I am quite stuck that I can’t receive anything from anyone which is a bit of a nightmare whilst job hunting 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 792 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 28 Solutions

Morning @stay_or_go 

I'm sorry to hear about the recent experience that you've had? So i can take a closer look, can you please drop me a PM with some more details?

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 2 of 13

stay_or_go
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just updating this post to reflect the fact that we are still looking for a solution and one doesn't seem to be forthcoming so far. Dave has tried to help as best as possible, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong from O2's perspective. At the same time, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my handset settings based on screenshots provided so far and we are therefore at a bit of a tricky junction. 

I spoke with a helpful member of the Retention team (where I had been incorrectly transferred to on two occasions) on my 3+ hour phone call with O2 today. He rightly acknowledged that O2 are renegging on their contractual obligations and in light of no resolution, the contract will most likely be terminated without having to pay the termination fee (something which a member of the retention team strangely has no authority to approve despite having to process any contract cancellation). Even issuing me with a PAC code is potentially going to be an issue because they can only be issued by SMS so I won't be able to retain my number which means I am going to have a big headache accessing my iCloud backup which requires 2FA.

All in all, I should not have left my previous network or should have been prepared to lose my old number. I appreciate this is not something that can be seen in advance of happening but it has been near on 60-65 days that I have been unable to receive a phone call or an SMS and it has been known for approximate 60 days with me having to chase up every time and re-explain everything to every agent I speak to. Cold transfers = poor customer services. Especially with irate, dissatisfied customers. 

Let's see how this next attempt goes...

Message 3 of 13

Oxonian
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 8134 Posts
  • 167 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

@stay_or_go wrote:

Even issuing me with a PAC code is potentially going to be an issue because they can only be issued by SMS

@stay_or_go 

I am not sure that is correct. If you search this forum, this has been discussed previously ; there are examples of PAC codes being given over the 'phone. 

Good luck and keep us updated on developments. 👍

Message 4 of 13

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7345 Posts
  • 53 Topics
  • 1606 Solutions

A PAC code should be given to you immediately over the phone or within two hours by text. This time frame is stipulated by the telecommunications regulator. So if you don't get it, you've got cause to complain.

I asked about O2's refusal to give codes over the phone, but never received a reply

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 13

Oxonian
  • 8134 Posts
  • 167 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

@Enlli wrote:

I asked about O2's refusal to give codes over the phone, but never received a reply

That just about sums it up @Enlli ! 😀

Message 6 of 13

stay_or_go
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just to throw a spanner in the works, @Dave-O2, I received a phone call literally just now, inbound, via normal call and was able to answer. I was in shock so I asked the person to hang up and call again. It worked again!

But do not get too excited because that is the only number that seems to be able to call me. I tried from my mum's mobile and from the landline and all attempts went to voicemail - the Vodafone voicemail, i.e. the previous network provider - this still makes me confused given that O2 claim full possession and ownership of the number which was ported. 

So, further interrogation of said caller has led to the information that he is also on O2 and therefore this may be a reason why it has somehow been able to get through to me...? I don't have anybody off the top of my head or in my immediate family who are on O2 so I cannot test the theory any further than him so far but I was hoping that this information might help in some way or another. 

I will also send this in our PM just for safe measure.

Message 7 of 13

stay_or_go
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

P.S. This is unrelated to O2 but kind of related in that the factory reset suggestion put me here, but Apple account recovery will be open to me in 29 days. So I will not be able to access my iCloud backup until then if the number is unable to receive SMS. I am going in to a residential rehab programme on 1st April for 16 weeks so we really need to find some sort of resolution prior to this because having no contacts or even photos in my phone by the time I start that is going to be the worst possible way for me to enter what is going to be an already extremely challenging time for me.

Message 8 of 13

Oxonian
  • 8134 Posts
  • 167 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

@stay_or_go 

Is @Dave-O2 aware of that deadline for resolution ? 

Message 9 of 13

stay_or_go
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm not sure if I previously mentioned it, and potentially didn't, but I don't think it can change the situation as it stands as it seems as if most trouble shooting options have been exhausted. I would also hope that imposing a timeline now wouldn't change the urgency of the request given the age of it anyways but I just wanted to make it clear in terms of the impact it's having personally and the bigger impact it will be in a few weeks time. 

Message 10 of 13