Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal is terrible after being moved from virgin

StephChivas
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Been moved over to o2 from virgin since they're putting everyone on it now and my data has been absolutely abysmal since the switch. Went on to data checker and they claim a mast isn't working as it should but nothing seems to be getting done to fix it as I just keep getting the same msg about how they'll update me in a week. 

I'm apparently getting unlimited data with my plan but really it's zero as my phone might as well turn into a brick when I leave my home. I use it all the time to check bus times and when I'm at work and most of the time it either doesn't load my apps at all or it loads it without showing the most up to date information.

Got colleagues who are unfortunately on the same network and they said they've never had great signal after being with for months. Can't find an online chat function to speak to anyone either.

Used to be with o2 for more than a decade and signal was great, switched as they couldn't help me out with a better contract than I was on without having a crazy monthly bill despite being with them so long and now I'm forced back to them with crap results. 

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23103 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3677 Solutions

@StephChivas If O2 are aware of the mast problem there really isn't much you can do. They will never give you a timeline on repairs.

A temporary solution is to use WiFi and 4g calling as much as you can: Wifi and 4G Calling explained | O2

If that's not acceptable you also have the option of changing providers: Cancelling your contract - An updated guide - O2 Community

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23103 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3677 Solutions

@StephChivas If O2 are aware of the mast problem there really isn't much you can do. They will never give you a timeline on repairs.

A temporary solution is to use WiFi and 4g calling as much as you can: Wifi and 4G Calling explained | O2

If that's not acceptable you also have the option of changing providers: Cancelling your contract - An updated guide - O2 Community

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 13

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36026 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

And all the ways of getting in touch with O2, via Social Media, are in the link just below this post, @StephChivas - the "Web Chat" is really not the resource it used to be for troubleshooting or for problem solving. Good luck!

Message 3 of 13

Dimmy007
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I too am having the same problem since being transferred ftom Virgin to O2. I have either no signal or just one bar when using my mobile at home on O2.Formerly when I was on Virgin I had a great signal with 4 bars. All this is odd because Virgin used the same transmitter masts as O2!. I used the O2 Network checker and it said there was a faulty local mast and that "engineers were working on it"..but it's been saying the same thing for several weeks..maybe this is an automated response.  I've been advised to get an O2 SIM to replace my existing Virgin Sim to see if the problem improves. 

Message 4 of 13

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5778 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Dimmy007 

>> I've been advised to get an O2 SIM to replace my existing Virgin Sim to see if the problem improves. 

If you do get the new SIM, please let us know if that resolves your issue. 

Message 5 of 13

meatologist
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Did this solve this issue?

We have 3 x contracts that were moved to o2 and now the signal is BAD. Previously it was perfect. Now it’s rubbish.

Message 6 of 13

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10199 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@meatologist 

A lot of other users have said it sorts the issues, and it is worth a try, and bear in mind nothing has changed apart from you have been moved from a dodgy MVNO network to the main network.. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 13

meatologist
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Any actual proof or evidence of this, rather than anecdotes?

What exactly was “dodgy” about the Virgin  network?

Again, any actual evidence? Or is this a “trust me bro” source?

Message 8 of 13

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6620 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1489 Solutions

@meatologist First off was the Belgian SIM cards issued post EE. The problems they threw up particularly with Roaming and iPhones thinking they were in Belgium. I spent a good few years on the Virgin Community putting out workarounds for problems which Virgin refused to acknowledge existed right up to about three months before they closed down.

Let's not forget their dodgy sales tactics which border on mis-selling and which are now being taken up by O2

@meatologist wrote:

Any actual proof or evidence of this, rather than anecdotes?

What exactly was “dodgy” about the Virgin  network?

Again, any actual evidence? Or is this a “trust me bro” source?

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 9 of 13

meatologist
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Anecdotes and unrelated info.

Didn’t realise that selling tactics now constitute as a”dodgy network”.

Anyone on here got some actual proof or evidence or even perhaps someone who has had the same or similar issue as the one mentioned in my first post and can confirm that a replacement SIM resolved the issue?

Message 10 of 13