Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal drop

jg
Level 1: Joiner
  • 23 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a HUAWEI b818 4g router in my caravan to get WiFi. If I check the mast signal strength I get a low reading. However if I then reboot my router it doubles in strength but only for a few minutes then back to low. What is causing this? Thanks. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

Similar to what happens in our caravan trips to either Yarmouth or Somerset @jg 

If it's a static caravan then it's probably where it's standing in relation to the mast. If a touring caravan, you need to look for a more mast efficient place to park up.

The range of that router is approx 250 metres.

A few guides to help Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

Guide: Is the network down for me or everyone? 

Guide: Do you have poor coverage / signal Indoors? This may help Explain / resolve itB, I know these routers are quite expensive, however, not sure of it's age as it could be faulty. If still under warranty, think about getting it changed.

Best advice I can offer @jg 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

jg
Level 1: Joiner
  • 23 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks but it is a static Caravan with a expensive external antenna. For years we have had issues but recently it has become unusable. Each time I get a message from o2 saying they are working on the mast to make improvements it is then worse. This morning ( almost nobody on the site ) it wouldn’t even load any speed checkers. Again when I rebooted back to 50% signal and 3 mbs. Recently I received a message from 02 saying that there was a problem with lack of data on this mast. I understand it needs more bandwidth ( backhaul) but this costs o2 money! I am not alone on this caravan site having poor or no 4g. 

Message 3 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@jg 

If you have had issues for years with O2, it's time to change.

I take a portable router with me when I travel to Yarmouth or Somerset. I use either EE or a 3 sim in the router as O2 is useless.

I would try both of those sims (free if you ask) and see which of those gives you a better signal.

The caravans I use are Static as well and generally 3 gives me excellent coverage.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 6

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6792 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

@jg Was it you who posted in a thread about this yesterday?

There is absolutely nothing anyone can do here. Nobody here from O2 will read your posts and if they did there is no way they can do anything about it.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Tech-Support/Unusable-4g/m-p/1608066#M31144

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@Enlli wrote:

@jg Was it you who posted in a thread about this yesterday?

There is absolutely nothing anyone can do here. Nobody here from O2 will read your posts and if they did there is no way they can do anything about it.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Tech-Support/Unusable-4g/m-p/1608066#M31144

Interesting. So the only thing to do, as I said above is to change network. Pointless having a router on your caravan which hasn't worked properly for years. @jg 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 6