cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM swap not working in old phone, what can I do?

SimNotWorking1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I had an LG G7 with an O2 contract for a number of years and then got a new phone from O2 very recently that I moved to.  Now I'd like my wife to use my old phone.  She's not on O2 and when I moved her SIM to my old phone there is apparently no network signal at all.  Move the SIM back to her phone and it works fine.  Not finding any way to speak to a human at O2, a bit of research and I read about phone unlocking and found how to request that on O2.  I supplied the IMEI number and then a couple of days later got an email that provided me with a procedure to get to a special menu with the option 'Service Provider Lock' which they said I could use to unlock the handset.  But when I try this procedure the message says 'Your phone is not personalised'.  Of course I couldn't reply to the email because it bounces back with "Thanks for your email, but we have now shut down our email support service"!

Can someone suggest what might be going wrong and who I should attempt to speak to next?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@SimNotWorking1 

I would get a replacement sim card for your wifes phone as the first port of call and trying that. 

If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this

I would normally suggest speaking to LG after that but they no longer exist in the Mobile Phone Market, but you an still try and get support on the phone here Get Product Help & Support | LG U.K. Support

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@SimNotWorking1 Did you follow this guide to unlock your phone: Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card. - o2uk

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@SimNotWorking1 

The LG G7 has always been a problem to unlock and it's not always successful. 

Within the service menu there is also a network lock option so you could try to enter your code there but if not, it may not be possible unless you try a local phone repair shop with the correct software.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

SimNotWorking1
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks I found the Network Lock option but the SIM Unlock code I was given by o2referrals did not work.

Any other suggestions?  I'm not a big fan of having to take my phone to a repair shop just to swap a SIM.

Message 5 of 5